Which opamp is for what when getting the Xin Supermacro IV?
Jul 4, 2006 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
After some researching, I'm most likely getting the Supermacro IV due to its 4 buttons (high/low gain, bass boost, xinfeed)... However, after reading alot of threads, head-fi'ers with previous experience on the Supermacro always says that it depends on the opamp. While this is true, it limits my understanding of the amp itself. I'm sure that since the IV just came out, people haven't fully listened to the IV to make detail reviews. Since I'm interested in getting the IV myself and have no understanding of what opamp sounds like, I wanted to ask which opamp would be right for me. Here's something to go by:

I listen to all types of music (classical, pop, rock, jazz, violin, piano, etc...); I'm a detail freak and I love the details presented in my Beyer DT 880, especially the highs;
I'm not a bass head but I would like bass to be deep (rather than impactful);
I will be getting the Shure e500 one day;
Soundstage, Soundstage, Soundstage!

Also, some have suggested that you could try different opamps and its very simple to switch back and forth. However, if you stack the buffers (as goto mentioned in the xin forum), the sound is much better presented (whatever that means). Does stacking buffers require soldering?

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Stacking buffers requires soldering.

As for what op-amp to use by your description, if you can, use LM6171s w/out buffers or try maybe with the HA-5002 on special adaptors like what Xin uses. Jan Meier apparently uses the BUF634 with success with the LM6171, but I've never been a big fan of the way BUF634 colours the sound despite favouring the BB sound in op-amps generally. The OPA627 is an option as well, though I don't find it gives the weightiness and richness of the 6171/2, though it may outresolve it a bit and give a bit more soundstage feel. I'd expect both to perform adequately in terms of soundstage/depth, though.

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
Stacking buffers requires soldering.

As for what op-amp to use by your description, if you can, use LM6171s w/out buffers or try maybe with the HA-5002 on special adaptors like what Xin uses. Jan Meier apparently uses the BUF634 with success with the LM6171, but I've never been a big fan of the way BUF634 colours the sound despite favouring the BB sound in op-amps generally. The OPA627 is an option as well, though I don't find it gives the weightiness and richness of the 6171/2, though it may outresolve it a bit and give a bit more soundstage feel. I'd expect both to perform adequately in terms of soundstage/depth, though.

Interesting. My HA1 MkII uses the LM6171, and my PPA v1.0 uses the OPA627. The differences between my amps seem to match your description of the opamp characteristics pretty well, even though the two amps have different circuits and use different buffers. I guess opamps may be even more important to the sound of the amps than I originally thought.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 9
when you say colour sound, does it mean that i'll hear more treble extensions or less airy? i like the airy sound where i can hear every single instrument playing, hence giving me the presence at an orchestra and a little better soundstage. i just want to feel like i'm there at on the stage or live at a studio recording. if the OP627 is going to color my sound, then i'm gonna have to pass. what about the AD8620? i''m just going by what xin is listing on his 'cool stuff' menu. i don't see the LM6171. where can i get them?

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 9
Not to hijack the thread but...

I, too, am thinking about getting a Xin amp and am mystified by the different opamps. I am looking for a rich, full-bodied sound. I don't need the bass to be exagerated, but it is a problem for me if it is thin. Here are the four he offers for the Mini:

The default is: AD8397 chipset

AD8616 chipset (2.5V-5.5V, don't use 12V!, buffer not required, super long battery life, very tube sound)

Solid Tube Chipset (2.5V-5.5V, don't use 12V!, buffer not required)

ST-WV + LMH6643 Chipset (2.4V - 12V)

If we limit ourselves to these options, does anyone have any suggestions?

-- David

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by debrey
Not to hijack the thread but...

I, too, am thinking about getting a Xin amp and am mystified by the different opamps. I am looking for a rich, full-bodied sound. I don't need the bass to be exagerated, but it is a problem for me if it is thin. Here are the four he offers for the Mini:

The default is: AD8397 chipset

AD8616 chipset (2.5V-5.5V, don't use 12V!, buffer not required, super long battery life, very tube sound)

Solid Tube Chipset (2.5V-5.5V, don't use 12V!, buffer not required)

ST-WV + LMH6643 Chipset (2.4V - 12V)

If we limit ourselves to these options, does anyone have any suggestions?

-- David

Go for the AD8616. Not that I've heard it, but: (1) Xin claims it has a tubey sound, and (2) I have heard the AD8397. Rich and full-bodied it isn't.

Jul 6, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Go for the AD8616. Not that I've heard it, but: (1) Xin claims it has a tubey sound, and (2) I have heard the AD8397. Rich and full-bodied it isn't.

Do you have to install the chip yourself? Or does Doctor XIN do it for you?

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 9
If it's the only op-amp in your order, it'll be pre-installed for you. Additional op-amps won't be of course.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back