Which of these tube amps would be best to pair HD800?
Dec 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

62ohm

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my amp and I would like to try the tube route, so which one would be best to power HD800 with their stock tubes? Thanks

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 24
  Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my amp and I would like to try the tube route, so which one would be best to power HD800 with their stock tubes? Thanks

It depends on the price. The DNA stratus is supposed to be amazing with HD800. The WA5 also would be great but you might have to roll tubes. The same with WA2 and WA6-SE - you will need to roll. Maybe the new ALO studio six but i think for stock the DNA stratus would be the best. Oh the Cary Audio sli80 should be excellent also. ¬

DNA Stratus 
Cary Audio Sli80
WA5
ALO Studio 6
WA2
WA6-se

There are probably a good few more - How much Cabbage have you got to spend??
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 24
seconded as to the bottlehead crack recommendation. it's the budget tube amp to beat for hd800s.

It caused me to sell my woo 3, which is not detailed enough to do hd800s justice, imo.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 24
  It depends on the price. The DNA stratus is supposed to be amazing with HD800. The WA5 also would be great but you might have to roll tubes. The same with WA2 and WA6-SE - you will need to roll. Maybe the new ALO studio six but i think for stock the DNA stratus would be the best. Oh the Cary Audio sli80 should be excellent also. ¬

DNA Stratus 
Cary Audio Sli80
WA5
ALO Studio 6
WA2
WA6-se

There are probably a good few more - How much Cabbage have you got to spend??
wink.gif

Those amps are much too expensive mate, much more than the five mentioned amps price range

You should add the Bottlehead Crack and the Decware CSP3. Both are highly regarded matches for the HD 800.

seconded as to the bottlehead crack recommendation. it's the budget tube amp to beat for hd800s.

It caused me to sell my woo 3, which is not detailed enough to do hd800s justice, imo.

I think I'm too lazy to do DIY lol
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 24

Those amps are much too expensive mate, much more than the five mentioned amps price range

I think I'm too lazy to do DIY lol
tongue.gif

then the bottlehead or CSP3 as palmfish  mentioned. Maybe the Darkvoice. 

you can buy an already made bottlehead

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 24
CSP3 is too expensive mate, any comment about the 5 amps I mentioned? or are they all no good for HD800?

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 24
Or what about the Graham Slee Solo Ultralinear? I read somewhere that Graham Slee uses Sennheiser (not sure which model) to test their amps, is that true?

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 24
  CSP3 is too expensive mate, any comment about the 5 amps I mentioned? or are they all no good for HD800?

Where did you mention 5 amps. Which amps? The bottle head might be your best bet. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 24
  Where did you mention 5 amps. Which amps? The bottle head might be your best bet. 

On the polling above mate. The bottlehead crack does seem to get a lot of recommendation, but not only that I'm too lazy to do DIY, its also too big as I would like a smaller form factor amp for ease of transport.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 24

On the polling above mate. The bottlehead crack does seem to get a lot of recommendation, but not only that I'm too lazy to do DIY, its also too big as I would like a smaller form factor amp for ease of transport.

my god, sorry. How did i not see that. 

The WA6 would be good but you would have to roll tubes. Which would probably make it too expensive. Then maybe the Lyr............ after that I don't really know. Is saving and waiting a bit longer an option? I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago - I was gonna go for a WA3 but i ended up saving some more and getting the WA2 and then tube upgrades. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 24
  my god, sorry. How did i not see that. 

The WA6 would be good but you would have to roll tubes. Which would probably make it too expensive. Then maybe the Lyr............ after that I don't really know. Is saving and waiting a bit longer an option? I was in the same boat about a year and a half ago - I was gonna go for a WA3 but i ended up saving some more and getting the WA2 and then tube upgrades. 

Well, that would be difficult.. I auditioned the HD800 with WA7 before getting it, and it sounded great. With the Magni though, let's just say it's 'not much improvement over Q701' therefore I would like to upgrade ASAP
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 24
Hold out for a newer used WA3 on eBay, the ones with the choke, they come up often enough and end up selling for right around $400. If you don't like the sound, you can either resell and get your $ back or mod it. It's a great amp for high impedance phones and sounds ok with whatever tubes happen to be in it....but rolling can get you to a very nice end state.
Lyr would be my next stop...6moons liked it with HD800. Again, this amp can be sold quickly if you don't like it.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/12.html

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 24
Hold out for a newer used WA3 on eBay, the ones with the choke, they come up often enough and end up selling for right around $400. If you don't like the sound, you can either resell and get your $ back or mod it. It's a great amp for high impedance phones and sounds ok with whatever tubes happen to be in it....but rolling can get you to a very nice end state.
Lyr would be my next stop...6moons liked it with HD800. Again, this amp can be sold quickly if you don't like it.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/12.html

What do you think of the Graham Slee Solo SRG-II? I've just heard it paired with HD800 today and quite like the synergy, have never heard the WA3 / Lyr pairing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back