Which of these open-back headphones should I get? EDIT: Solved
Jul 4, 2012 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello all, I was wondering which of these open-back headphones I should get (whatever I buy will be my first pair of open-back headphones . . . I would prefer to spend a small amount of money): Sennheiser HD 518, Sennheiser HD 558, Beyerdynamic DTX 910, Beyerdynamic DT 440 Edition. What I am looking for (as far as sound) is a reasonably flat frequency response, good soundstage etc. (I don't want a pair of open-backs that sound not much different from closed-backs). Which of these should I get? Danke

EDIT: Where I am at it is kinda late so I may have left out important stuff as I am tired . . . in the morning I will add any other important info if I remember it. Oh yeah, and I plan on buying a portable headphone amp to use with whichever pair of headphones I would get.

EDIT #2: I was looking at all of these headphones and it looks as if the Sennheiser ones would be more comfortable as the earcups are more oval shaped instead of circle shaped like the Beyerdynamics. I currently own a pair of Incase Sonics and I can definitely say that I like the more oval shaped earcups.

***Solved***

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 21
Bump. I forgot to mention that whichever headphones you recommend out of the ones I listed have to be versatile . . . my music preferences are: Blues, Classical, 90's Hip-Hop, Jazz, Metal & Rock (this is off the top of my head).

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
Hello all, I was wondering which of these open-back headphones I should get (whatever I buy will be my first pair of open-back headphones . . . I would prefer to spend a small amount of money): Sennheiser HD 518, Sennheiser HD 558, Beyerdynamic DTX 910, Beyerdynamic DT 440 Edition. What I am looking for (as far as sound) is a reasonably flat frequency response, good sound stage etc. (I don't want a pair of open-backs that sound not much different from closed-backs). Which of these should I get? Danke

EDIT: Where I am at it is kinda late so I may have left out important stuff as I am tired . . . in the morning I will add any other important info if I remember it. Oh yeah, and I plan on buying a portable headphone amp to use with whichever pair of headphones I would get.

EDIT #2: I was looking at all of these headphones and it looks as if the Sennheiser ones would be more comfortable as the earcups are more oval shaped instead of circle shaped like the Beyerdynamics. I currently own a pair of Incase Sonics and I can definitely say that I like the more oval shaped earcups.

Sennheiser HD558 with the Fiio E11.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the suggestion . . . the Fiio E11 has an analog volume control however and I am considering buying some IEM's in the future. Does this amp have any channel imbalance? 

EDIT: I checked the Fiio website and the site SAYS that the amp has 'good channel balance' . . . I would like to know from somebody who does not work for them however. It's not that I think they are blatantly lying, I'd just like to hear it from somebody else so I can be sure.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 21
558 and the fiio will sound brilliant, flatmate has the same setup for a very similar taste in music and absolutely loves it!

Fiio e11 is very balanced, and sounded amazing even with my audio technica AD900's, have also used it to listen to 558 and 598 and thoroughly enjoyed the sound.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 21
That is good then . . . I wouldn't want to get an amp w/ an analog volume control that has channel imbalance and then decide that I wanted a pair of CIEM's in the future and have to get a different amp.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 21
One thing to watch out for in the E11 is the hiss. I'm not sure if it was just in the one that I tried out, but there was a ridiculous amount of hissing when I plugged in my UM3X even at low volumes..
that's been the only thing that's stopped me from buying one though.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 21
Hey guys, I have less of a budget than I originally expected so I am cutting the HD 558s and the DT 440s off of my list. It is now between the HD 518s and the DTX 910s. Would the FiiO E11 be a fine choice for either of these headphones? I assume that they would sound fine with the 518s as it is my understanding that the HD 518s and the HD 558s are similar in sound signature? Correct me if I am wrong of course.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
Hey guys, I have less of a budget than I originally expected so I am cutting the HD 558s and the DT 440s off of my list. It is now between the HD 518s and the DTX 910s. Would the FiiO E11 be a fine choice for either of these headphones? I assume that they would sound fine with the 518s as it is my understanding that the HD 518s and the HD 558s are similar in sound signature? Correct me if I am wrong of course.

Any chance you could add your location to your Community Profile?

Samson SR850 (made by Superlux), semi-open, $50,
for around $15, you can get velvet ear pads for the SR850 off eBay.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
That was a random request . . . I don't mind doing that but why do you want me to do this may I ask? Also, I only want fully-open headphones. But thanks anyway.

Not sure why you need fully open headphones?
I've never heard the HD518 (and not as open as the HD558/HD598)
The HD518 do not use the same driver as the HD558/HD598.
I used the HD558 ($180)
But for $50, the SR850 will seem it's worth at least 2/3 ($120) the price of the HD558s.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
Not sure why you need fully open headphones?
I've never heard the HD518 (and not as open as the HD558/HD598)
The HD518 do not use the same driver as the HD558/HD598.
I used the HD558 ($180)
But for $50, the SR850 will seem it's worth at least 2/3 ($120) the price of the HD558s.

The HD 518s are only semi-open? I was under the impression that they were fully open. Shows you what I know.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
The HD 518s are only semi-open? I was under the impression that they were fully open. Shows you what I know.

The 518 are open, But the hole sizes used appears to be smaller then the ones on my HD558s
The HD518 would be considered more open then the SR850.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back