Which mid to high-end DAC/AMP should I get? I've found a few. Don't know which to choose.
Jun 20, 2023 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Thenewbie76

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently in search of a new DAC and headphone amp. My current gear is the SMSL SU-8 (DAC), THX 789 Massdrop (AMP) and Bravo Audio V2 (Tube amp).

I am looking for a mid to high-end DAC/AMP combo that would be a good investment and last me years whilst sounding good of course. I am looking for a DAC/AMP purely for listening to music, connected to my PC. I have no speakers, only headphones.

Also, the only reason I am looking at a DAC/AMP combo is because I want something that is more compact. I am studying in the UK for University and it would be so much easier carrying a DAC/AMP in my suitcase. It would also save up so much more space on the study table.

From most expensive to least, here is what I found in my local audiophile shops in Singapore.
  1. Ferrum ERCO - 3500SGD (This is really steep but if someone can convince me to buy it, I will buy it)
  2. Questyle CMA15 - 3199SGD
  3. Questyle CMA12 Master - 2551 SGD
  4. Violectric HPA V226 - 2469 SGD
  5. Matrix Audio Element M - 2400 SGD (This is a streamer and has a lot of other features I don't know what to use for)
  6. Matrix Audio Element 12 - 2400 SGD (This one too is a streamer.
  7. WOO Audio WA7 - 2089 SGD (This is a DAC and tube amp combo)
  8. Lehman Linear - 1600 SGD
  9. Fiio K9 PRO - 1260 SGD

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Jun 20, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 7
With all of the DAC/amp combos you already have, you should travel even lighter with a DAP. A good matching DAP would be a Cayin N3Pro with its single-ended tube and solid-state amps and balanced solid-state amp:

https://store.jaben.com/products/cayin-n3-pro

https://zeppelinandco.com/products/...mplifier-dac-dap-music-player-tws-cayin-n3pro

Also, if you don’t mind used:

https://www.carousell.sg/p/cayin-n3pro-n3-pro-updated-1041749338/
I actually already have a DAP 😅 . Its the Fiio M11.

Was planning on buying a new DAC/AMP because I've bought some new high-end headphones like the Fostes TH900 MK2 and Sony MDR-Z1R which I feel aren't getting proper treatment from my current setup.

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 7
I actually already have a DAP 😅 . Its the Fiio M11.

Was planning on buying a new DAC/AMP because I've bought some new high-end headphones like the Fostes TH900 MK2 and Sony MDR-Z1R which I feel aren't getting proper treatment from my current setup.

So assuming that the FiiO M11 can already drive the TH-900 and MDR-Z1R with its high gain, it sounds like you would benefit from having a current L-M-H switch, so check out the A&K PA10 and joint the discussion here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...ssions-comments-or-general-discussion.967883/

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Perhaps you can consider getting an IFI Diablo as it seems the most logical given it's portability which is something you'd want to prioritize when you're relocating temporarily. Soekris 2541 is an option to consider for something more desk bound and imo has one of the best dac in it's price range even comparable to dacs that cost way more. If you're feeling rich you can go for the Hugo 2 though I see very little reason to spend that much for what is supposedly a temporary setup.

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 7
I am currently in search of a new DAC and headphone amp. My current gear is the SMSL SU-8 (DAC), THX 789 Massdrop (AMP) and Bravo Audio V2 (Tube amp).

I am looking for a mid to high-end DAC/AMP combo that would be a good investment and last me years whilst sounding good of course. I am looking for a DAC/AMP purely for listening to music, connected to my PC. I have no speakers, only headphones.

Also, the only reason I am looking at a DAC/AMP combo is because I want something that is more compact. I am studying in the UK for University and it would be so much easier carrying a DAC/AMP in my suitcase. It would also save up so much more space on the study table.

From most expensive to least, here is what I found in my local audiophile shops in Singapore.
  1. Ferrum ERCO - 3500SGD (This is really steep but if someone can convince me to buy it, I will buy it)
  2. Questyle CMA15 - 3199SGD
  3. Questyle CMA12 Master - 2551 SGD
  4. Violectric HPA V226 - 2469 SGD
  5. Matrix Audio Element M - 2400 SGD (This is a streamer and has a lot of other features I don't know what to use for)
  6. Matrix Audio Element 12 - 2400 SGD (This one too is a streamer.
  7. WOO Audio WA7 - 2089 SGD (This is a DAC and tube amp combo)
  8. Lehman Linear - 1600 SGD
  9. Fiio K9 PRO - 1260 SGD
Wide selection of options - I guess you could happily live with all options as 'portable' desktop solutions.
Only the Lehman Linear is a headamp only to my knowledge - so might not fit to the rest of the list based on your requirements.
I personally have the CMA15 and Violectric V226 - both great all-in-ones (between both the Violectric has the much smaller footprint).
Maybe you can also take a look at the just released Hifiman Serenade R2R DAC & headamp all-in-one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back