Which is the best optical cable under $300?
Dec 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

rosgr63

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it worth spending up to $300 for a Toslink cable?
And if it is which one is worth it's high value?
Your opinions please!

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 168
Said it once and I'll say it again, unless you are balancing headphones, expensive cable is completely pointless after a certain point, all you can do after the $80 mark in analog cables (estimate) is change the sound signature very slightly by changing cables, you can't get an overall improvement.

Especially in digital cables, there is little to no difference unless you get a complete trash cable. Just get the Dayton Optical from HeadRoom or something in that price range.

Balanced headphones on the other hand, are a huge improvement over single-ended.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 168
toslink are digital cables unaffected by em/rfi - spending extra on these cables can be equated to flushing your cash directly down the toilet

you asked for opinions
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 168
indeed, im almost starting to believe in the cable kool-aide, you can go ahead and pass the pitcher, but for the optical run from my mac to my DAC, its still gonna be just the standard optical cable from monoprice, then ive got TWag from dac to amp and them amp to headphones.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 168
I love my Van den Hul The Optocoupler MKII, which did set me back about $130.
Not sure I would have spend more on an optical cable though.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
S
Balanced headphones on the other hand, are a huge improvement over single-ended.

I agree

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Van den Hul The Optocoupler MKII, which did set me back about $130.
Not sure I would have spend more on an optical cable though.

Do you know how it compares with the Wireworld Supernova 6?

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know how it compares with the Wireworld Supernova 6?

Sorry, but no.
I have only slightly compared it against my previous cable, a Monster Cable of some kind. Not all sure about the audible difference, but build quality wise a clear league above. For that alone worth the extra ~$100.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 168
krmathis thanks for your reply.

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 168
Visit Blue Jeans Cables to check-see what a custom length cable will cost you. My 2 footer was less than $20. They make quality stuff and have great customer service all at a very reasonable price. BJC is well respected here.

Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Visit Blue Jeans Cables to check-see what a custom length cable will cost you. My 2 footer was less than $20. They make quality stuff and have great customer service all at a very reasonable price. BJC is well respected here.

Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

I use Sys. Concept for my custom made optical cables.
They are also very good.
I was just wondering about these expensive cables, are they worth it?

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just wondering about these expensive cables, are they worth it?

No. The only thing that matters with optical is the construction quality/durability. It has nothing to do with the sound, but how rugged/resistant to damage.

Now with Digital Coax, as with analog cables, there are quite noticeable differences between cables.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The only thing that matters with optical is the construction quality/durability. It has nothing to do with the sound, but how rugged/resistant to damage.

Now with Digital Coax, as with analog cables, there are quite noticeable differences between cables.

I would agree with this, about to make the same statement. spend as little as possible still getting good contruction in that SQ will be the same with optial. I got one expensive one at price, one monster-not cheap, one basic. They all sound identical. The same can not be said for digital coax however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back