Which is considered a fun sounding headphone? HD650 vs Fidelio X1 vs AKG Annies
Oct 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

maricius

500+ Head-Fier
I've been stalking the forum for a year now and I've finally decided to create an account. Right now I have a Sennheiser Momentum, a Centrance DACport LX, and a Fiio e11. For my end game, I'm planning to get one of the T50rp mods, either LFF's Paradox (Slant), Dan's MrSpeakers Alpha Dog with a matching amp and maybe a better source. Who knows?

For now, my eyes are set on either the Sennheiser HD650 or the Philips Fidelio X1. I'm planning to keep these as my "fun" sounding headphones and as partners for the more neutral headphones mentioned at the start. I've read that the HD650s with the Bottlehead Crack are comparable to or equal to the X1s with ALO Audio's PanAm. The HD650s have a better scalability and better imaging but the X1s have better attack and decay. I'll be getting the O2 as an amp for these headphones for its availability and relatively low price. Of course, I'll be upgrading the amp eventually for the headphone I choose.

I listen to a lot of genres, Hip-Hop, R&B, Classical, Pop Rock, Alt Rock, Indie, Synth-Pop, Synth-Rock, Prog Rock, and some Reggae. Lastly, I'm afraid that even with the best equipment, even without the so-called Sennheiser veil, the HD650s will still be a slow headphone (I already have my Momentums for that). That is why I'm even considering the X1s

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 23
I've heard of the Annies but it's accepted that they're rather light on the bass response compared to the two mentioned above. I'm unaware of the MDR MA 900s though. What's special about them? I really am just looking for a "fun" headphone

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 23
It seems to be that the MDR MA 900 isn't considered of equal sound quality to the Annies or the HD650s. I will consider the Annies though. Thanks

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 23
I guess I'll consider them to!! Do you have any suggestions on how to get more people to comment. I'm not too much in a hurry but I rather like knowing what I'm getting next. Money doesn't grow on tress you know :D

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 23
Manbear,

I've considered the HE400 as well as the HE500. However, upon auditioning, it turned out that even at its tightest setting, it's just too large and wide for my head. The problems of being vertically challenged. Sounds like a curse, does it not?

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 23
Maybe I can make the question simpler. Which would do best in both fast and slow music. The less congestion, the better.

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 23
I use my X1's with an alpen f17 amp and sound/comfort top notch for the money. Definitely indoor stuff.

Do you think it would sound okay through an E11 amp?

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 23
my vote goes to HE 400. With proper modification, the comfort level of HE 400 can be increased. Look for HE 400 appreciation/discussions thread in this forum.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 23
They do. The e11's amp is just as good as the e17's

I'm just afraid that the bass would be too overpowering. The E11's have a rather loose bass… not as loose as the E10 but yeah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back