Which is better...HD600 w/Cardas or RS-1?
Sep 5, 2002 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
I'm running two parallel threads (other is in amps section) to help me decide what to do with my money.

It does not look like I will be able to demo the RS-1 locally (dealer has to special order them, then you have to buy them)

I'd like some opinions on which is the better phone, the HD600 w/Cardas cable (which I own) or the RS-1 (which I'm itching to buy). I always wanted and RS-1 and finally I can see the light at the end of the tunnel financially to make it happen.

I tend to like the HD600/Cardas initially but after a while I long for the Grado sound of my SR225 and 325 with my RA-1. I tend to find the HD600/Cardas a bit polite and dynamically challenged after I've adjusted to the sound.

So it's down to a choice of buying the MG Head and using my HD600 or buy the RS-1 to use with the RA-1.

Which is better?

I welcome any feedback. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 37
Which is better, chicken or beef? It depends on what you like.

If a full midrange is key, then get the MG Head to use with the HD-600, and buy some good NOS tubes. The drawbacks to the HD-600 are laid back highs and bass that can sound boomy (although the right amp can cure most of this.)

If detail is important, and you like an aggressive high end with tight bass, then get the RS-1. The drawback is that it can sound overly bright to many (the right interconnect is critical), and the midrange can sound recessed at times.

Both headphones are good, and can form the basis of a reference quality system, but the one that is better is the one that produces the type of sound that you like to listen to...and only you can determine that.

Sep 5, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 37
Hi Beagle

Isn't the RA-1 known for a somewhat rounded-off treble? A characteristic that favors the treble-friendly Grado sound? But the X-Cans is a quite good match with the HD 600... All I can say is that I'm very happy with my own HD 600, with removed foam pads and a home-brewed cable which provides highs as clear as I can imagine... together with my recently tuberolled Earmax pro I'm effectively at the end of my wishes, so it seems.

So, if you have your Senns already woken up with the Cardas cable (and removed the foam pads?), you must have a sound ideal which is not entirely reached by them. And I understand that the Grado sound is attractive in its own way, and from time to time I'm tempted to seriously try out myself some higher class models again, too. I (just) own the SR 80. Ten or fifteen years ago I had the opportunity to compare the RS-1 with them over the weekend. But I couldn't get enthusiastic; although their sound was slightly refined, it was even more colored than that of the SR 80, to my ears. A bit less bright, but at the expense of a hollow coloration.

But these experiences are based on my ears (anatomically and psychoacoustically). Though I like the Grado sound, I can't live with its glassy-glossy treble presentation, in the long run. To me, this sound is at least slightly colored, clearly more so than the HD 600 sound – which I experience (in my actual configuration) as nearly neutral and coloration-free. And it really shines with the EMP. Maybe it's worth trying the MG Head (which I don't know) with the Senns – this seems to be a broadly recommended combination. I think, tubes and the HD 600 are a wonderful match...

So I guess it's up to you. If you like the Grado sound more, then that's your sound.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 5, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Hi Beagle

Isn't the RA-1 known for a somewhat rounded-off treble? A characteristic that favors the treble-friendly Grado sound?

No, it's neutral.

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 37
in my opinion, the C600 (my new term for HD600 with the cardas cable) is better than the RS-1, in every way: sound, comfort, design, all of that stuff. Heck, even if they sounded worse I'd choose the C600, just to avoid the grado's earpads and thick-ass cable.

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
in my opinion, the C600 (my new term for HD600 with the cardas cable) is ...

Personally
biggrin.gif
, I prefer the following abbreviations:

HD600+c for the cardas, and
HD600+e for the equinox.

It seems a bit confusing to use HD600, C600 or E600...seems like 3 completely different models.

I also claim precedence, since I've already used the latter abbreviation in a post while discussing my own HD600+e.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

the C600 (my new term for HD600 with the cardas cable)

LOL, nice, Neruda. But maybe we should name them like this:

HD 600ca (Cardas cables)
HD 600cl (Clou cables)
HD 600sa (Stephan Art Equinox cables)

(I wanted to avoid "se" in case there's ever an SE version, and "eq" because it would be blasphemous to add "EQ" to the end
wink.gif
)

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 37
Bah! Both are good enough to own... each with its own virtues of what it does best.

My personal choice was to start down the HD-600 road. I'm into comfort and a liquid midrange which the Senns do admirably. There are times when I crave the RS-1, though. Even if I had a Twin Head w/Equinox cable, I'd still reach for those RS-1's again and again...

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

LOL, nice, Neruda. But maybe we should name them like this:

HD 600ca (Cardas cables)
HD 600cl (Clou cables)
HD 600sa (Stephan Art Equinox cables)

(I wanted to avoid "se" in case there's ever an SE version, and "eq" because it would be blasphemous to add "EQ" to the end
wink.gif
)

that's better because "C600" might lead to confusion between cardas and clou. And maybe we should change "HD600cl" to HD600cb and HD600cr for blue clous and red clous, respectively.

Sep 5, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

that's better because "C600" might lead to confusion between cardas and clou. And maybe we should change "HD600cl" to HD600cb and HD600cr for blue clous and red clous, respectively.

I'm using the Equinox and I like this suggested nomenclature. Hope it catches on. BTW, I've never heard the RS-1's, but I can say that after all the comments about them here on Head-Fi, my mouth is watering! (HP-1000's too)

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 37
I owned the HD 600 and bought the RS-1 which immediately became my favorite cans. Great sound stage, very airy reproduction and a very different sound from all of my other haedphones.

I then bought the Cardas cables for the HD600 and they are now running neck and neck. I enjoy an eclectic variety of music and I have found these two cans both have their place. I am glad I own them both and use each for different applications.

I got the AKG K1000 yesterday from Headroom for $359. (They owed me a credit for $200 - so I justified the purchase as only having cost me $159.) Its a whole new ball game now. The problem with the K1000's is that there are only a handful of CD's in my collection that sound good with these cans - they are very unforgiving.

Have fun making your decision.

Sep 6, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 37
Well, I own the 600's and have heard the RS-1 with many different amps at the NY meet. Both headphones are awesome and represent the very best in headphones, that are not for the ultra rich (The Big O and R10).

They both sound very different, enough to own both if you could afford it. I would try to order the RS-1 from a on-line dealer that allows to to mail it back, order both this way and send back the one you like least.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 37
i hate abbreviations, type it out you lazy bastards (but i think larrys's idea is the best of any of them).

i own both the hd600 with cardas and the rs-1 and i have to say they are both their own. i also own the sr-325 and i can easily say that the difference between the sr-325 and the rs-1 is small compared to the difference between the sr-325 and the hd600 with cardas.

don't get me wrong, i love the rs-1. but when i first tried on the rs-1, i didn't find an amazingly huge difference between the two. but right when i was beginning to have second thoughts about buying before auditioning (yeah, i'm dumb), i gave a switch over and the changes started to come through. the rs-1 retains the forward grado sound, but with a much smoother treble as oppose to the rather bright sr-325. the bass's punch is still there, but a bit more wholesome. the wood seems to color the sound ever so slightly towards the warm side.

however, when i got my rs-1's, i already had the sennheiser hd600 and mg head. there is something to be said for the awesome match of the ra-1/rs-1, but at the same time, the mg head (with good tubes) and the hd600 with cardas are also quite a pair. it's kinda a scary situation to be in, but i'd look into the rs-1 i think. i love my hd600 with cardas, but i have to admit that i use my rs-1 a bit more often.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back