which is better? flac or wav?
Nov 14, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #31 of 33
What do you guys think about having your entire library in alac? The more I'm converting the more I feel like this is going to be a mistake if apple dies off, I just realized all the files are separated into folders so it might be a pain convert back- I can't seem to highlight all the folders and just have dbp convert everything within all at once.

On a different note how long does it take to burn in the newly converted alac files, in order to let the data bits "warm up" and extract the full audiophile extent of it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #32 of 33
Upselling WAV as superior to lossless is a tough sell. No doubt it can be done, but still a tough sell.

One of the big benefits of computer based playback is the ability to manage and search your library. It's convenience. It is easy to search a library of properly tagged FLAC files to find how many versions of "Little Wing" you have. It is more difficult and limiting do attempt the same search on WAV files. Doing the same search through shelves of physical CDs is also difficult.

If you take the time to add additional information to the tags beyond just the basics you can do even more advanced searches. For example I have my jazz albums tagged by style. So a quick search can find all my jazz that is "Post-Bop" and/or "Modern Creative" or whatever.

Nov 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think about having your entire library in alac?

I think it is a great idea!
Besides a few recorded radio shows my entire iTunes library have been fully ALAC since mid-2004. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back