Which IEMs are Most Transparent?
Sep 11, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Jap

500+ Head-Fier
[size=small]
For those who have sampled multiple IEMs, which of these are the most transparent? By transparent, I refer to the phone's ability to let the signal through with as little coloration as possible, to the phone' ability to "disappear" and allow the signal and all downstream elements to pass through.

The Etymotic ER4's used to tops here. Are they still the best, or have they been bested?

{NOTE: I am not concerned with the Ety's so-called anemic bass since the amp I will be employing has a variable bass boost which will cure any anemic bass ills. So please focus on the IEM's transparent quality only. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.}
[/size]

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 60
The best transparent definitely is UE10 Pro.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 60
I have had the shures e5s ety's er4ps. Now I have the UE-10s. The UE-10s are the best.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 60
Yeah if we're including custom fit, then I'd say the UE10's. The 2x-s is ever so slightly behind that... The Shure E4 is also a contender along with the ER4P (though the ER4p does sound rather thin, thus maybe not the most transparent). The E5 is as well, but it does suffer from a bit of treble roll off.

Regarding the ER4, in the case of the ER4 p or s it's not so much of an anemic bass issue, it's a lack of punch in the mids and bass regions. I don't know if bass boost will really cure that completely. I guess it depends upon what your definition of transparent is, but I think if you take away the punch of a given instrument you have lost the transparency in you playback equipment. You may enjoy it anyway, but it's not transparent.

The ER4s also has a harshness to the upper mids - lower treble that is very unnatural

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The ER4s also has a harshness to the upper mids - lower treble that is very unnatural

I disagree with that assessment. I find the ER4 to be very refined, accurate and natural in the treble.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]the amp I will be employing has a variable bass boost which will cure any anemic bass ills[/size]

Oh, if it were only that simple....

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I disagree with that assessment. I find the ER4 to be very refined, accurate and natural in the treble.

I gotta go with Jasper on this one. The mids are way bloated with the ER-P's, which is why I got the E4's. It's still a matter of personal taste, but the man speaks the truth. The mids on the ER4 could be the reason the bass seems to be anemic. Because of the mids, I could never equalize the sound of the ER4's to sound right. Even if you equalized the music to have a low treble, the mid-range would still be prominent.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I have had the shures e5s ety's er4ps. Now I have the UE-10s. The UE-10s are the best.

Second that. I heard all three in a meet and came to the same conclusion.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 60
[size=small]
You know, I had a sneaking suspicion the vote would go to the UE-10Pros.
cool.gif
I truly wish I could audition them before purchase.
[/size]

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver

The ER4 a great canalphones, but I also find their treble and timbre to sound way unnatural.

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I've never heard the UE-10 (though I'd love to), but I can say that the E4 is very clinical to my ears.

Are "clinical" and "transparent" the same thing?

I think clinical is when the sound is overly clean, even if it means changing how the sound should be. The ER4 are an example of clinical sound. Their lack of decay, make the music sound cleaner, but IMO by coloring the sound. Is similar to say, using an effect to make the sound seem cleaner.
On the other hand transparent, I believe is the ability of a phone to show as much of how the recording is to sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back