• Etymotic ER2XR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sennheiser IE200

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2023 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BuckyOH

New Head-Fier
Would like your opinion on a some IEMs. I'm looking for a mildly V shaped IEM where there's the least amount of loss in the mids and clarity and a lot of punchy fast sub and mid bass. Yeah, I know, kind of an impossible mix to find, that's why I say 'the least amount' or the least of compromise or the best possible result .
Which would you choose if you're looking for such an IEM? I kind of based my list on availability in europe and the money I'd be willing to pay for that IEM.
Also, If you'd like to elaborate your choice in reference to the other IEMs, feel free, that'll be highly appreciated.

The Aful and the Chopin would have to be bought through Aliexpress which I'm trying to avoid, definitely for those prices. The Aful would cost me 255 euros and the Chopin 236 euros.
The Letshuoer would also have to be bought through Aliexpress but for a way lower price. 129 euros. I am less reluctant at buying through Aliexpress for that amount.

The Timeless would cost me 250 euros, through dutch Amazon.
The Etymotic would cost me 150 euros, through dutch Amazon. I'd be putting Comply eartips on them.
The Sennheiser would cost me 150 euros through dutch Amazon. I'd also be putting Comply eartips on them, making sure that little hole is closed off.

I'm very interested in the Etymotic and the Sennheiser, definitely for those prices. The Letshuoer would seem like a safe bet as well. I think these 3 will all perform quite well.
I saw Gizaudio's review of the Sennheiser where the graph comes pretty close to the Sennheiser IE 600. Which gets pretty good reviews. The Etymotic also gets a lot of good reviews if you can handle the insertion. But I think I got that handled with Comply tips.

Wonder if the Chopin, the Timeless or the Aful will perform a lot better, worth the extra cash.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 13
I was also on the fence with a couple of IEMs that I have been listening to reviews about and looking at their frequency response curves on squiglink. I had the Performer 5 and the Chopin in my list to choose from as well but now I am leaning towards trying something a bit different and am now deciding on which Penon IEM to get (Fan 2 or going straight for the Dome). Their sound signature is a bit different (depending on the model; w, u, v, l), but you might want to entertain checking out the Fan 2 as the recommended entry level one (~$279). There are great reviews on it and it sometimes goes on a 50% off discount. If you sign up for their newsletter you'll be "in the know" when they do.

To add to this, since you mention the Timeless, a new updated release is coming soon so you might want to check out some early impression reviews that I am sure will come out in a couple of weeks maybe. From what I hear, it is looking to be possibly the best planar IEM yet...but take that claim with a grain at this point until a few full reviews are available.

Sorry, I probably didn't answer your question but wanted to give some other perspectives to look into before forking over your hard earned money. Good luck with your decision! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Would like your opinion on a some IEMs. I'm looking for a mildly V shaped IEM where there's the least amount of loss in the mids and clarity and a lot of punchy fast sub and mid bass. Yeah, I know, kind of an impossible mix to find, that's why I say 'the least amount' or the least of compromise or the best possible result .
Which would you choose if you're looking for such an IEM? I kind of based my list on availability in europe and the money I'd be willing to pay for that IEM.
Also, If you'd like to elaborate your choice in reference to the other IEMs, feel free, that'll be highly appreciated.

The Aful and the Chopin would have to be bought through Aliexpress which I'm trying to avoid, definitely for those prices. The Aful would cost me 255 euros and the Chopin 236 euros.
The Letshuoer would also have to be bought through Aliexpress but for a way lower price. 129 euros. I am less reluctant at buying through Aliexpress for that amount.

The Etymotic would cost me 150 euros, through dutch Amazon. I'd be putting Comply eartips on them.
The Sennheiser would cost me 150 euros through dutch Amazon. I'd also be putting Comply eartips on them, making sure that little hole is closed off.

I'm very interested in the Etymotic and the Sennheiser, definitely for those prices. The Letshuoer would seem like a safe bet as well. I think these 3 will all perform quite well.
I saw Gizaudio's review of the Sennheiser where the graph comes pretty close to the Sennheiser IE 600. Which gets pretty good reviews. The Etymotic also gets a lot of good reviews if you can handle the insertion. But I think I got that handled with Comply tips.

Wonder if the Chopin, the Timeless or the Aful will perform a lot better, worth the extra cash.
Punchy sub band midbass, then er2xr is not what you're looking for. I'd say S12 but I haven't tried the P5 and Chopin yet.

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 13
I was also on the fence with a couple of IEMs that I have been listening to reviews about and looking at their frequency response curves on squiglink. I had the Performer 5 and the Chopin in my list to choose from as well but now I am leaning towards trying something a bit different and am now deciding on which Penon IEM to get (Fan 2 or going straight for the Dome). Their sound signature is a bit different (depending on the model; w, u, v, l), but you might want to entertain checking out the Fan 2 as the recommended entry level one (~$279). There are great reviews on it and it sometimes goes on a 50% off discount. If you sign up for their newsletter you'll be "in the know" when they do.

To add to this, since you mention the Timeless, a new updated release is coming soon so you might want to check out some early impression reviews that I am sure will come out in a couple of weeks maybe. From what I hear, it is looking to be possibly the best planar IEM yet...but take that claim with a grain at this point until a few full reviews are available.

Sorry, I probably didn't answer your question but wanted to give some other perspectives to look into before forking over your hard earned money. Good luck with your decision! :ksc75smile:
I can only get the normal Fan here from aliexpress for 163 bucks. The new timeless, yeah, bit more pricey than I'd like to pay.

Leaning towards the Letshuoer atm. Not sure if the versions differ a lot, pro vs OG vs Z. The OG and the Pro are available to me by the looks of it, via aliexpress, for around 140 both.

The timeless and the sennheiser are still also options that i'm contemplating.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 13
I can only get the normal Fan here from aliexpress for 163 bucks. The new timeless, yeah, bit more pricey than I'd like to pay.

Leaning towards the Letshuoer atm. Not sure if the versions differ a lot, pro vs OG vs Z. The OG and the Pro are available to me by the looks of it, via aliexpress, for around 140 both.

The timeless and the sennheiser are still also options that i'm contemplating.
Gotcha... As I own them, and since they are on your list, I can then vouch for the S12 OG model. I have mated them with the Dunu S&S eartips for a better seal and sound signature, and they actually stay in my ears now, as well as a 6N copper cable (Tripowin Altea) to smooth our that treble and get a bit more bottom end in the bass region. Once I reached ~150 hours on the set, they truly sound amazing!

PS - Here is some more info on the new Timeless II coming out soon'ish.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 13

th poll is a good idea, but you'd really have to try them yourself first, because you might like the etymotic ER2XR, even though it has 0 votes. remember, not only do people like different sound signatures, but IEMs can sound different to people depending on the shape of your ears

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 13
what i'm saying is don't rely souly on the poll

Oct 30, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 13
I don't have much additional information compared to the others, but I do agree that you should try them out first since the shape of your ear can change the sound and comfort of them.

Also if you can wait for 11.11 you can get some discounts on some of them for example the Aful Performer 5 was at $200 on Amazon US on prime day at least

Oct 30, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't have much additional information compared to the others, but I do agree that you should try them out first since the shape of your ear can change the sound and comfort of them.

Also if you can wait for 11.11 you can get some discounts on some of them for example the Aful Performer 5 was at $200 on Amazon US on prime day at least
also, what a majority of people prefer may not be what you like

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 13
True. For example, some people atleast with headphone can describe the HD6XX as a good allrounder, but I personally find that it is missing something
i'm the same, i think for me they sounded a touch dark, but it might be something else, i can't put my finger on it.

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 13
th poll is a good idea, but you'd really have to try them yourself first, because you might like the etymotic ER2XR, even though it has 0 votes. remember, not only do people like different sound signatures, but IEMs can sound different to people depending on the shape of your ears
Yeah, I do realise this. Problem is that most of the IEMs I can get in the Netherlands I can't easily return.
I'm trying to make a best educated guess as to something I'd probably like, then order it and try it. The few I listen in the poll are the ones I'm interested in after checking a lot of youtubes and reading a lot of reviews.
I'm probably gonna go for the S12 pros. Those are the ones that appeal the most to me atm.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah, I do realise this. Problem is that most of the IEMs I can get in the Netherlands I can't easily return.
I'm trying to make a best educated guess as to something I'd probably like, then order it and try it. The few I listen in the poll are the ones I'm interested in after checking a lot of youtubes and reading a lot of reviews.
I'm probably gonna go for the S12 pros. Those are the ones that appeal the most to me atm.
cool, as long as you've got other info to go on aswell as the poll
good luck with the s12 Pros!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back