Which IEM should I get?
Apr 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

SmettMark

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, sorry for creating another thread, I changed my mind a bit about my preferences. This is what I'm looking for in the IEM:

-I listen mainly to vocals (mostly male), rock, heavy metal, and some soundtrack.

-I want the IEM to be mid-centric. I want the mids to be lush, thick, and "creamy" but not bloated in any way.

-I want a lot of bass. I want the bass to have impact and a slam factor, but it doesn't need to be exaggerated as long as it has impact. I want to be able to "feel" the bass. Also, I not only want quantity, but I want a lot of quality as well.

-My top priorities are mids and bass. Because of this, I understand that I won't be able to have a lot of treble. However, I don't want the treble to be rolled off like the SE535 because not only will it sound a bit blurry, but I also need it to have some energy for rock and metal. I just want enough treble to give it some energy.

-My budget is 400 dollars. I might stretch it, but only if its necessary.

-I don't want any customs

Which IEM should I get?

EDIT: I would also like to mention that I don't want it to require an amp. I'm okay with it improving with one, but not with it requiring one.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 29
A budget IEM that I like and use is the Brainwavz M2.  Add in some Comply T-400 foam tips and you have yourself a budget IEM that is mid-centric, extends well into the bass, and gently rolls off the treble for easy listening.  I think they are awesome for rock.

Total Cost:
< $120 shipped for everything

Tyll measured mine a while back and here are the results:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

The measurements were done with the Comply tips installed.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
A budget IEM that I like and use is the Brainwavz M2.  Add in some Comply T-400 foam tips and you have yourself a budget IEM that is mid-centric, extends well into the bass, and gently rolls off the treble for easy listening.  I think they are awesome for rock.

Total Cost:
< $120 shipped for everything

Tyll measured mine a while back and here are the results:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

The measurements were done with the Comply tips installed.

I don't really care that much about budget, so if there is a better IEM that costs more, I would take it. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll look into it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 29
The 535 limited is definitely something you should try to audition. I know there aren't many places to do that sort of thing, but if you travel at all, there are in-motion entertainment stores in most of the major airports now where they carry and will let you listen to the higher end Westones, Shures, and some other pretty good stuff like the UE900. I bought the UE900 ($400) on a whim and I'm loving it. It tends to be pretty flat, but the mids do drop off a tad on the upper end of things, but other than that I don't have a single complaint. I think you should at least try them if it is possible for you to. 

What you are describing really sounds like you would like the Shures though. They are too thick in the midrange for me mostly (I'd call them slightly bloated honestly if that means overly forward), but I did like the 535 limited (red ones) much, much better than the bronze ones. Their treble extension and presence is acceptable and something you'd get used to and appreciate easily. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 29
Sennheiser IE8 or IE80

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 29
I don't have any high end IEMs, but aren't the EX1000, IE80, and UE900 the main contenders for that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back