which headset doesn't ruin hair (not a joke)
Dec 25, 2008 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

dfn

New Head-Fier
Ok so this is my first post on the forums, and I'm hoping somebody here has experience with this...

Every single over-the-head headset I have used flattens my hair, in the spot where the headset rests. Sure, you can say this is normal. It is. However, I am unable to "unflatten" my hair by any means, other than washing it again.
Hair on top of head before headset: --------
Hair after 15 minutes of headset use: ----|__|--

I've tried combing, brushing, gel, wax, nothing works. I've tried putting on gel, then the headset, no good. The only way to get my hair back to normal is to hop in the shower and wash it. This is very inconvinient as I already shower 2 times a day (at least) and don't want to jump in the tub every time I need go out.

Basically, I can deal with it most weeknights, but weekends suck. If I get up, shower, then do some gaming, I need to shower before going out to buy groceries. Come back home, do some more gaming, then shower before going to the gym. Shower after workout. Come home, get on the comp, then shower before going out for food or a movie. This can turn into 5+ showers in a day.

I'm sure some of you are laughing your heads off, but I don't know of anyone else (friends, coworkers) with this problem. They all wear a headset that sits on the head, and nobody I've seen experiences this, nor have they said anything about it when I inquired.

Right now, this problem that I described is the ONLY reason I do not buy normal headphones. If I could get around this problem, I'd go out and buy normal headphones asap. I want to own normal headphones. I like them. I just can't.

Has anybody experienced this? Does anyone know how I can solve my problem? Can anyone recommend headphones that are least likely to do this to my hair?

PS -- when I say headset, headphones, I use the terms interchangably; my friends and coworkers have pretty big (ear covering) headsets/phones, they are not the really small ones that people portreyed as tech support/telemarketers wear; thus there is some weight to them

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 60
Happens to me all the time. I find the best way to cope with this problem is to simply not give a damn what people think about my hair.

Another way you could cope with this is by buying crappy headphones that go around the back of your head rather than on top. But these tend to hurt after a while, and SQ probably won't be comparable to anything we discuss here. You could also just try using earbuds or IEM's that deliver good SQ.

The most forgiving full sized headphone I can imagine will probably be the Audio Technica line-up of headphones. They're all pretty light weight, and they've got that wing design that allows the headphones to just rest on your head rather than gripping it tightly all around. However, if the wings do squish down on your hair, then you're just going to end up with an even funnier look than a normal set since you'll have the sides flattened down, and a portion in the middle still sticking up.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 60
wear a hat
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 60
Don't tighten the headphone band so tight?

Also, washing your hair more than once a day (many say more than once every other day) with shampoo/conditioner is known for making hair oily and problematic in general.

Could you deal with a different hairstyle maybe?

If your hair is long and you can deal with little to no hairspray/gel, you could just "head bang" for a few seconds (I'm talking stand up and bend your entire torso forward and backward with vigor) unless your hairstyle requires careful maneuvering.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Never had this problem, and I've had hair down to my shoulder blades before.

EDIT: As another suggested, perhaps try the Audio Technica ESW9 or something similar?

IEMs are of course the best option for preserving hairstyle structure.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 60
Just wondering, what kind of hair do you have-- and style do you put it in? I would try using conditioner if you don't already and if you do, then try washing without soap/cond (it's not good to dry out your scalp, especially if youre washing it 2 times a day!) See if either of those work out. You could also try wearing a hat/beanie out. I know some people can't really pull it off... maybe you can? :] Or try wearing a beanie when you have your headphones on? I sometimes wear a bandana when I listen to keep my hair out of the way. Anyways, try some of this out and report back :]

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 60
I'm sorry, but I'm with Evil Dan.

A hat will solve all your problems.

Otherwise, you really shouldn't care what other people think. Or, just wear headphones all the time. That way, no one will notice.

Nylan

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 60
I have the same problem but no longer own any headphones for the time being. I'm not sure what your budget is but perhaps you could go with a pair of clip on headphones such as the koss ksc75 or behind the neck headphones such as the sennheiser pmx100 or koss sportapro. Actually judging by the size and weight of the sennheiser px100 (over the head version), I wouldn't be surprised if it does not leave an imprint on your head. You could also go with earbuds (I have experience with yuin earbuds and like them alot). Or you could go my my route and have most your listening be done with iems. Anyways, I hope you find a solution to your hair problem because I found one for mine
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 60
Cmon now, least the boy cares how he looks before he leaves. To the gym and grocery store is a little obsessive but I get where hes coming from. IME the only way to not mess up your hair with headphones is to run water through your hair then comb it then gel it after use. I keep my hair pretty short and given that I will usually grab the 530s for short listening sessions if my hair is gelled and that I will wear a hat if Im in the IDC mode you should try running some water through your hair and kinda moving your hand back and fourth like your trying to make static then comb your hair forward then gel it, works like a charm. BTW, try Got2b glued gel, stuff works well for no holds barred spikes.

Dave

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 60
I have my hair in between an inch and 3, I know exactly what your talking about. Easiest way is not to have a shower but just get your hair wet in the sink and dry it off with a towel if it really matters.

Simplest fix is just to wear a baseball hat if you don't mind wearing hats and having the flat hair; but the bump doesn't appear.

Ahh the sacrifices required!

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 60
If you had a wig you could just take it off to listen
atsmile.gif
Shucks, if your OCD, you could have a wig for listening, one for outing, one for dating, one for bowling, etc.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back