Which headphones next?
Jul 21, 2007 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm quite happy with my rig at the moment but there are many headphones I'd like to try. So I decided that I could order some headphones to test and compare them with HD650. Who knows, maybe I even find a replacement for my beloved HD650. I just don't know where I should go. At the moment I will only keep one headphones so other pair goes for sale when I've compared them thoroughly.

I mainly listen to rock and metal music (see my last.fm link at my signature) so maybe something livelier and more energetic than HD650. I do love the smooth and full sound signature of HD650 though. I definitely don't want headphones which cause fatigue or have harsh high end. But don't get me wrong, they can be on the bright side. They should also be quite comfortable. They can be of any design (open or closed). Here are some models which I've considered and read some reviews about:

JVC DX1000
Denon AH-D5000
ATH-AD2000

What else?

I would use the headphones with my Stello rig which I'm not going to alter any way.

My budget is max. 500EUR (~ $700).

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 19
Grad... no wait, you know them already.
tongue.gif
Not heard any of those three, but as a metalhead the D5000 and AD2000 are the ones that really intrigue me because of the descriptions of their soundsignature.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why D5000? you are on a budget, so the D2000 makes more sense.

x2, then you can afford two different headphones, just think of it, there is audiophiles that says that it is barely any difference in sound, and if audiophiles say that it is barely any difference, well, is there any at all then??

If I where you I'd go with D2000 and K701, and I actually think k701 is a good rock can, with nice trebble that makes the guitars shine.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 19
Well I can easily afford D5000 also so why not that then. They're "only" ~360EUR shipped from PJ. And if it's even slightly better then maybe it's worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

K701 is a no no. I've owned it and heard it several times even after that. I've always had problems with its extremely bright highs (sibilance).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grad... no wait, you them already.
tongue.gif
Not heard any of those three, but as a metalhead the D5000 and AD2000 are the ones that really intrigue me because of the descriptions of their soundsignature.

I'd say AD2000 is the most interesting one at the moment. I think there's still some FOTM going on with the new Denons. Just now someone posted a first negative review of D5000.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there's still some FOTM going on with the new Denons. Just now someone posted a first negative review of D5000.

Agreed. The D2000 sounds terrible to me so I really can't understand the hype about the Denon cans. I'm sure the D5000 are better but the difference can't be that great just by changing the material the cups are made of. The impact of the bass (regardless of system I've used them on) is so big it takes over the music. Gives me headaches.

Go with the ATH's. I'm quite sure you won't be disappointed. If you are though, You can sell them off to me or something since I've been interested in them for a while.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 19
This is my take.

If you like the sound signature of the 650's, you'll like the Denon's. When I listen to rock I reach for the Denon's, livlier, more extended and does guitars well.

Denon's are fast enough to do drums really well, including high hats. Bass, while not as textured as the top tier phones, easily differentiate between the kickdrum and bass lines.

Plus if you like older cd's Skynyrd, Allman etc, they are forgiving yet resolving, no problem following multiple guitar lines.

If I'm listening to accoustic, classical or more subtle music, I reach for the Senns.

Plus, because the Denons are closed, feel free to dial up the volume. While the leakage is there, isolation is way better than any open cans.

As usual, YMMV.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 19
Well D2000 isn't that expensive so trying it wouldn't hurt my wallet too much. I guess it'd be quite easy to sell forward also if it doesn't please me.

More recommendations.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 19
Hi Patu

This past week I got to compare my AD-2000 with the HD-650, as well as the HD595, with a wide selection of music. A caveat I must add is that all of my listening was from an unamped 5thG iPod, so I'm sure the Hd650 was far from its best potential.

The AD-2000 is detailed without being harsh in the treble, no sibilance even on reverb-rich female vocals, and its very forgiving on source material and upstream equipment, unlike the W5000.
The bass has less slam than the 650's, but the Ad2000 is not lean in the bass. However, for metal you might want a bit more thick bass, depending on your preference.
As many other reviewers have also noted, the salient feature of the Ad2000 is its midrange. It is a forward midrange sound that brings vocals up close, and will probably do the same for eletric guitar. Drums and cymbals are noticeably more forward and lively.

I havent heard the Denons or the JVC, perhaps they are "better" for your music, especially if you prefer heavier bass, but if you are looking for something more lively than your HD-650, I dont think the AD-2000 will disappoint. I put in the "phatpad" mod, to make the ear cups a bit firmer and it has helped the comfort quite a bit.

Another idea, perhaps not as glamorous, is the Senn 595. If you like the 650 sound, but want a bit more forward, lively/grainy sound, I think the 595 could work.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Patu

This past week I got to compare my AD-2000 with the HD-650, as well as the HD595, with a wide selection of music. A caveat I must add is that all of my listening was from an unamped 5thG iPod, so I'm sure the Hd650 was far from its best potential.

The AD-2000 is detailed without being harsh in the treble, no sibilance even on reverb-rich female vocals, and its very forgiving on source material and upstream equipment, unlike the W5000.
The bass has less slam than the 650's, but the Ad2000 is not lean sound in the bass. However, for metal you might want a bit more thick bass, depending on your preference.
As many other reviewers have also noted, the salient feature of the Ad2000 is its midrange. It is a forward midrange sound that brings vocals up close, and will probably do the same for eletric guitar. Drums and cymbals are noticeably more forward.

I havent heard the Denons or the JVC, perhaps they are "better" for your music, especially if you prefer heavier bass, but if you are looking for something more lively than your HD-650, I dont think the AD-2000 will disappoint. I put in the "phatpad" mod, to make the ear cups a bit firmer and it has helped the comfort quite a bit.

Another idea, perhaps not as glamorous, is the Senn 595. If you like the 650 sound, but want a bit more forward, lively/grainy sound, I think the 595 could work.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the comparison.

For metal I prefer fast and detailed bass. Of course there must be power also but I'm not a basshead even though I own HD650 and like its sound.

I might know what you mean by the forward midrange and vocals coming close because W5000 had exactly the same effect (I've owned them). Vocals were always crystal clear and very close to you. That was somehow addictive and I liked it. But W5000 had very weak bass (though it was fast).

HD595 is not on the same level IMO. It was my first headphone when I joined Head-Fi and when I upgraded it to HD650, there was nothing where HD595 would've been better.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 19
The AD2000 is quite a bit more bassy than the W5000. I also came away with the impression they were crystal clear and lean in the bass. Perhaps the right amplification will remedy that, but the likes AH-5000 is quite pricey a remedy
smily_headphones1.gif
. I find truth in other head-fiers comments about the W5000 being picky with amplification and upstream equipment, because the AD2000, to my ears, sounded more complete across the spectrum.
The AD2000 is fast and detailed, but I cant say how it is compared to the Denons or JVCs.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 19
I'm "hijacking" this thread because I have the same ideas. Today I tested my uncle's Grado RS-1 with Corda Headfive and I didn't like them so much. Bass was much better than Sony SA5000 or AKG K701 but I couldn't hear vocalist in music. RS-1 sounds good and don't have that fatique like SA5000 but the sound is a little bit boring.

So I would like to have headphones that have all the nice qualities from AKG K701 and have a punch in the bass section like the RS-1. Sony's don't seem to pack that much punch either than the RS-1's.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595 is not on the same level IMO. It was my first headphone when I joined Head-Fi and when I upgraded it to HD650, there was nothing where HD595 would've been better.

You got a bad sample of the HD595. I like the HD595 way bettar!

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD2000 is quite a bit more bassy than the W5000. I also came away with the impression they were crystal clear and lean in the bass. Perhaps the right amplification will remedy that, but the likes AH-5000 is quite pricey a remedy
smily_headphones1.gif
. I find truth in other head-fiers comments about the W5000 being picky with amplification and upstream equipment, because the AD2000, to my ears, sounded more complete across the spectrum.
The AD2000 is fast and detailed, but I cant say how it is compared to the Denons or JVCs.

Sounds like AD2000 is the right headphone to try. I'm still waiting for some more recommendations though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got a bad sample of the HD595. I like the HD595 way bettar!

There was nothing wrong with the HD595 I had. It's simply just worse than HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back