Which headphones look the most expensive to you (Regardless of price)?
Apr 8, 2014 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

kiikasi

100+ Head-Fier
We've all been there: "Those were $500? They look like they were 50 dollars". Some headphones perform really well and are some serious cash, but they just don't look the part.

In your opinion, which headphones look the most expensive/impressive with no mention of the price. (They can even be cheap headphones as long as they look expensive.)

In my personal opinion, the old Denon/new Fostex line look really premium and tend to look their price.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 99
Audio Technica W3000ANV - W5000
Audeze LCD-XC
Ultrasone ED10

To me those ones look expensive or like they are classy and would have a higher earning demographic. To me the XC seems expensive for the wood backs and the look of sturdiness and bulk.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 99
So basically most models with big closed wooden cups? Martin Customs look even better.

Actually, K702 comes to mind amongst the others in that general price range--till you feel what it's made of.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 99
The audeze's with their wood and soft leather padding. Add one of those pretty looking cables and they are as expensive as they look.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 99
Expensive looking huh..

The HD800's, all Audeze's except for the XC, and all wooden grado's.

Wouldn't it be fun to also note the non-expensive looking headphones, that are actually quite expensive?
Here, i'll start.
The almighty Stax SR009 looks pretty cheap, and so do the HE60 baby orpheus, and HE90 orpheus.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 99
The Signature DJ and Pro look a lot cheaper than they are.

I think the Alpha Dogs look like they are not cheap headphones, just the overall build quality, stunning finish and the leather pads makes me think quality. Many might disagree.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 99
haha yeah ...I just got a 702 and what you said is 100% accurate

I wish I were wrong. :frowning2:

I watched a couple of your videos (ZX700 and HM5). Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to a classic trio "shoot out." :D

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 99
I wish I were wrong.
frown.gif

I watched a couple of your videos (ZX700 and HM5). Thanks for the insight. Looking forward to a classic trio "shoot out."
biggrin.gif

WOW you watch my videos , that is so cool ! 
I will make a "shoot out" video for sure once I upgrade my amplification (soon) , thanks man !!

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 99
Just got the W3000anv. Best finished wooden cups I have seen and overall the priciest looking headphones I own, although in terms of RRP, they are less than half of what some of my headphones cost.

The W3000ANV looks so good, it is certainly uncomfortable to wear as I am constantly conscious of the oil film I may leave on the lacquered surface.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 99
  We've all been there: "Those were $500? They look like they were 50 dollars". Some headphones perform really well and are some serious cash, but they just don't look the part.

In your opinion, which headphones look the most expensive/impressive with no mention of the price. (They can even be cheap headphones as long as they look expensive.)

In my personal opinion, the old Denon/new Fostex line look really premium and tend to look their price.

To me, so far the Audio Technica ATH-M50x look/are the best headphones in my consideration to buy a new pair of headphones regardless of price, but I’m still searching for other options for the perfect headphone for my needs.

These are my reasons to buy the M50x:

1-) Specs (15-28,000 Hz, 38 Ohms vs. 10-39,000 Hz, 300 Ohms of very expensive ones. Good enough to reveal all spectrum of a good recording)
2-) Portability (most expensive headphones are very hard to handle, cannot be used with small players, computers without using a more expensive device, etc)
3-) Easy to drive (most expensive Headphones require a better cable and expensive amplifier)
4-) Comfortability to wear (very light weight vs. HIFIMAN HE500 over a pound)
5-) Discreet (Not disturbing others. It is the whole reason to listen to headphones otherwise I’d listen to my stereo. Open headphones leak the sound. That’s why some people consider the HD800 horrible; it’s like having two regular speakers hanging on your ears)
6-) Easy to carry (HD650, HD800, Hifiman HE500, AGK K812 very hard to handle)
7-) Easy to identify right & left channels (some expensive headphones sometimes you even get the channels mixed if you are not very careful when putting them on your head)
I guess 96khz/24-Bit and 192Khz/24-Bit recordings would sound amazing with these headphones already. Now the regular red book 44khz/16-Bit will sound bright, dry, thin and edgy with any headphone. Pure waste of money.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 99

No explanation necessary.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back