Which headphones for the Asus Essence One?
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Uusitalo

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I’m looking into buying new headphones and would be grateful if you could push me in the right direction, since I'm fairly new to hi-fi audio.

My current system is a Native Instruments audio2DJ soundcard and Sennheiser HD215 headphones. They have good pumping bass and overall the sound quality isn't too bad, but I think there's still room for more quality, spatial balance, etc.

For my new system I'm thinking of buying the Asus Essence One (Muses Edition?) and headphones in the 200-350$ region.

My taste in music is about 60% abstract electronic (ambient, glitch/experimental, IDM, dub-techno, etc.), 30% Jazz and 10% other (Rock, Pop, Classical, etc.). So I guess the headphones should have good bass similar to my current setup, without sounding over-exaggerated (which I've heard about the Dr. Dre Beats for example). They should be powerful in lower frequencies, while still sounding well defined and balanced.

So far I've found these headphones:
- AKG K702 (10-39,8khZ, 600ohm)
- Beyerdynamic DT990 (5-35khz, 600ohm)
- Philips Fidelio X1 (10-40khz, 300ohm)
- Audio Technica AHT-PRO700MK2
- AKG K271-MKII

What do you guys think? Any idea which ones would be best for my needs? Any others you would recommend?

Any help is much appreciated! :)
Sarah

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 4
I do like the sound of my Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.

(The AKG K701 is 62-Ohm, not 600-Ohm)

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the A900X would fit you well for the genres you listen to and what your asking for since you listen to alot of electronic music you want something with  deep sub-bass extension open headphones can't do this as well as a good closed headphones and the A900X will also be be great for other genres you listen to like jazz and classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back