Which DLP Gives Best SD Channel Picture?
May 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Will be upgrading (again) to newest 56-61 inch DLP or possibly Sony SXRD TV, I use Time Warner HD Digital Cable service.
I watch 90% cable TV 10% DVD so picture quality of standard definition cable channels is very important for the next few years till HD programing is more common

Anyone know which brand gives best looking upconversion picture for SD channels?
Anyone have a 61" DLP they are really happy with?
Samsung
Sony
JVC
?????

Also is the new LED technology worth the extra cost in newest slim Samsung models?

May 20, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 13
I was able to see demo my self at local HH Gregg store:
Samsung 61 vs Sony 61 with standard definition cable channel, looked like a tie to me quality wise. The HD material also looks very close, hard to pick a clear winner.........although when I compared the same two at Best Buy using HD signal I thought the Sony had very slight edge, they have darker viewing rooms there.

Price of Samsung 61 1080p has come way down, I can get one for $2040 after haggling with salesman.........I think I will go ahead

Anyone know of any reason I should not get the Samsung 61" 1080p?

May 20, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 13
Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Panasonic.

I did (50" LCD projection screen), and the lamps only last approximately 2000 hours instead of the rated 10000 hours. I have replaced the $300 lamp three times in 4.5 years. Fortunately my extended warranty covered two of the lamps.

Panasonic, faced with a Class Action lawsuit, settled out of court and is supposed to replace the sets. If for any reason I do not qualify, I will be looking to replace mine and will not even consider a projection screen, DLP or LCD. Instead I will look at a LCD flat panel or a plasma screen which will not be a Panasonic.

Just be aware that, with projection sets, the lamps WILL burn out, and are somewhat expensive.

May 20, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 13
Yes the LCD models have very nice picture but top out at 50" size and cost at least $1000 more than Samsung 61" DLP, plasma even higher.........

Yes bulb replacement for DLP is a maintainance item.........

May 20, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 13
I have heard that the SXRD from Sony has reliability issues a couple of years down the road. We were at a wide screen store in Buena Park talking to the owner about video and this is based on his statement. The Sony picture is ever so slightly better IMO. It is very hard to judge in a store unless they let you bring a calibration CD and set the pictures up to the same standards.

May 20, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the LCD models have very nice picture but top out at 50" size and cost at least $1000 more than Samsung 61" DLP, plasma even higher.........

Yes bulb replacement for DLP is a maintainance item.........

I got the extended warranty on mine and it covers bulbs. The first one went out after only a few months, still under regular warranty I think. THe repair guy told me that the factory bulbs that come with many sets seem to go bad rather quickly, however, the replacement ones last a long time.

May 20, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 13
I am looking at the Samung-HLT5687S LED DLP for my bedroom. The 20,000 hour rated life is the deciding factor. This model seems to eliminate the color banding issues compared to the 1st gen LED Sammys. I am also looking at the Samsung LN-T4665F 46" LCD since I currently have a plasma. Here is a thread on the new LED DLPs: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=827799

The Sony SXRDs produce a nice picture as well. The JVC H-DiLA series of LCoS sets are decent too.

May 20, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 13
I have a Samsung DLP and I am still on my first bulb and it has been 2 years and 2 months. I believe the bulbs for my TV are $150 at Samsung parts. I would assume as more people get DLPs, the bulbs will just keep going down in price.

May 20, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 13
I bought a Sony SXRD 60 inch HD Television last October and I also use TW cable. (Profile )I'm happy with it, but keep in mind I live in a relatively small condo. TW HD pix quality is just fine. Some standard channels are pretty crappy as you already know. Overall, It's satisfactory.

May 20, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Tried DLP, gave my wife a headache....

Finally went with the Samsung 42" plasma for bedroom...

Not any better on standard channels than DLP was.... and must use component cables or better, or there is severe dithering (as opposed to just regular dithering)...

Friend's Panasonic is better.....

and YMMV etc....

May 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried DLP, gave my wife a headache....

Finally went with the Samsung 42" plasma for bedroom...

Not any better on standard channels than DLP was.... and must use component cables or better, or there is severe dithering (as opposed to just regular dithering)...

Friend's Panasonic is better.....

and YMMV etc....

I may have to change my mind about getting large Samsung DLP..........just came back from Best Buy and seriously looked at the 42-46" LCD flat panel. The prices have come way down recently and you can get great looking unit for @$2000 - 2500, I personally really liked the Samsung LCD picture, Sharp Aquos also looks great.

The picture quality and color depth is just amazing, instead of getting 56" DLP can get 46" LCD and just sit a bit closer to screen, 4-5" deep cabinent and no bulbs to replace.

May 20, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 13
also 50" plasma TVs at Best Buy.........

LG, Pioneer, and Samsung plasma units look great and can be purchased for @$2500.........DLP looking like less attractive option now

May 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also 50" plasma TVs at Best Buy.........

LG, Pioneer, and Samsung plasma units look great and can be purchased for @$2500.........DLP looking like less attractive option now

I personally think you're making a wise decision. There are no guarantees with the lamps on projection sets (as in: how long they last). Without an extended warranty you are out of luck.

To whoever said that the lamps will decrease in price over time:

I've had my TV going on five years. The lamps have always cost $300 from Panasonic, maybe $260, at best, on the web from an independent seller. And if you buy on the web you have no idea what you're getting, possibly even a refurb lamp. The lamp consists of a bulb mounted inside a sheet-metal housing with a connector on the side. Looks like it might cost $20 to manufacture. Even in light of the premature failures (and faced with a lawsuit) Panasonic refuses to lower the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back