Which budget integrated amp for Monitor Audio BR2?
Jan 1, 2008 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm starting a new budget 2-channel home system from scratch, for use in a smallish narrow room where listening levels will never be beyond moderate. My source is a harman/kardon HD 970 CDP, used with both CDs and AirPort Express since it has digital inputs. I recently sold my nicest speakers (they were a bit large for the room) and will most likely replace them with the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2.

I am looking for the best integrated amp I can use with this setup up to about €350 (new). Possible contenders include the NAD C315BEE and the Onkyo A-9155.

Which of these two would be a "better" fit with the system I've described?

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Since the BR2s are pretty efficient speakers, either of these two relatively low power amps would be quite suitable and maintain little audible distortion at reasonably high volume levels.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 15
I had a chance to check out the NAD integrated amps today, and although I knew to expect the workmanship to be rather spartan, I simply couldn't believe how cheaply constructed these things are! I will try to avoid buying based on looks, but these NADs are plastic--including all the knobs and controls, and feel extremely shoddy.

The Onkyo definitely has the edge in workmanship, but I won't have a chance to listen to the model in question before buying, which is scary.

The only other candidate I found that I might consider further is the Rotel RA-06, which can be had new for about €450 (although the shop I went to wanted €750!). This amp seems to be much more powerful than the other two I've considered, but sonically would this be a significant step up with a good source and mid-priced bookshelf speakers?

Jan 2, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 15
I've never heard the Rotel + MAs, so I'm talking far from my ears right now, but I think that high powered Rotel might pair better with some B&W speakers, which are tougher to drive. That combination sounds good, though. The Rotel just mght be overkill for your speaker choice, is all.

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Cambridge Audio 340A would be a good alternative to the NAD C315BEE

It has metal face plate so it feels/looks more substantial than the NAD. And it comes in both black and silver

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 15
I ended up buying the HK 970. Now it's time to make a final decision on the speakers, and that's going to require a tiresome journey to Helsinki.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 15
If cosmetics were your priority, fine, but otherwise I believe you have made the wrong choice. The NAD has .02% total harmonic distortion. The HK as .09%. Somewhere between .03 and .05 is audible.
Have you seen the inside of these units? HK's quality is no better than NAD.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If cosmetics were your priority, fine, but otherwise I believe you have made the wrong choice. The NAD has .02% total harmonic distortion. The HK as .09%. Somewhere between .03 and .05 is audible.
Have you seen the inside of these units? HK's quality is no better than NAD.

As I stated in an earlier post, I was not buying based on cosmetics, but commented that I thought the NAD was shockingly "cheap" in terms of its front panel and all controls. I actually don't like the looks of the HK at all, either. What I did like was how it sounded in the shop with the same speakers I've owned for years and adored (OR-160Hi). The HK 970 is not available in the States, so it's difficult to get opinions on it other than those based on the printed specs, at least in English. In all the Finnish-language forums I've checked out, I haven't found anything to suggest that the HK is below par in terms of sound quality.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 15
i'm running my RS1's with rotel ra-02

for nad, i would go with the C325

you cant go wrong with nad, cambridge or rotel at the budget level

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 15
"Somewhere between .03 and .05 [THD] is audible."

There are so many kinds of distortion that aren't measured. I think it's nuts to focus on THD. That's a marketing ploy. I remember in the 80s how companies used to try to minimize THD numbers on cheap consumer receivers. I don't think anyone could hear the difference between .02 and .06 THD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back