Which brands of DAC and AMP for my SONY D50 + AKG K702 ?
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gotomsdos

New Head-Fier
Hi, buddies !
I picked up a k702 lately to run my sony D50. Sometines just insert K702 to my laptop. Both give a fairly good amount of volume. But I wonder to what degree K702's potential reachs on D50 or latop ONLY (without DAC / AMP) ?

So a DAC or AMP or both or a combo needed  to fully play K702 ?

My preferences of tone is :

As original sound as possible,  clarity as K702 itself, minimal extra adjustments of sound source.

Budget: under $1000 or so (all for DAC and AMP)

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 5
I would suggest Audio GD NFB-6 amp plus NFB-17.32 DAC. Connect them together with ACSS cable. That should be enough to make your laptop sound very ordinary in comparison.

The K702 probably sounds ok out of your laptop but you are not getting anywhere near it's full potential. The consensus is that these cans need an amp.

I am listening is Q701 cans with PC > Powered USB hub > Music Streamer II > Audio GD NFB-6 and I am happy with the dynamic high resolution sound.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Burson HA-160Ds can be found below 1k. Works nicely with power hungry Akg headphones. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

The K702 probably sounds ok out of your laptop but you are not getting anywhere near it's full potential. The consensus is that these cans need an amp.

Just don't expect it to be very different - it won't be. But to a keen listener a good amp will make the K701 sound more "alive," more exciting, the notes more crisp and the bass has a bit more kick without really skewing the sound signature. Kind of like some comments I've heard about Dynaudio from people who tried them at home or for their cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back