Which Beatles album to listen to first? (to get into the Beatles)
Apr 19, 2003 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I have pretty modern rock/classic rock tastes, so my first few experiences with the Beatles have been very... pop-y?

Anyways, I'm more interested in the less mainstream-sounding stuff...

Just purchased:

Let it Be
Magical Mystery Tour
Beatles for Sale
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Please Please Me
Revolver
With the Beatles
Abbey Road
Hey Jude

Which one would be the best to get into first?

Apr 19, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 23
Wow... OK.

Personally, if you want the least "pop-ish", I'd start with Revolver, followed by Sgt. Peppers and work from there.

Revolver is arguably their best work, and at least their most consistent. It wasn't filled with psychodelia, but was mature and textured.

Sgt. Peppers was psychodelic, but it flowed beautifully and, while some of the songs themselves aren't amazing (the best are the first three and A Day in the Life), it is seamless and easy to listen to right through.

My favourite Beatles album, though, is Abbey Road, as it is the most powerful and passionate. They were nearing their end, but their creative prowess was at an alltime high.

I dislike very much their poppy earlier stuff. Rubber Soul was the first Beatles album to mature somewhat and was a precursor for things to come. They're all good, but the later ones are just nicer to listen to.

Apr 19, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 23
It's a shame that you didn't buy the White Album.
biggrin.gif

Of what you have, I'd also come down in favor of Revolver, and then Abbey Road. This would give you a good mix of their later works.

My favorite albums (I pretty much like them all) are as follows:

1) Rubber Soul
2) Revolver
3) Meet the Beatles
4) Yesterday and Today
5) Abbey Road
6) The White Album

Yes, that's right...there are some up here that are NOT in the UK mix. I've been a fan for long enough that my point of reference goes back to US-issued vinyl. I actually burn my own US versions to CD-R. Yes, I know...bit of a kook, but that should be no shock to anyone...look at my avatar.

There are a couple of songs on Rubber Soul and Revolver that are not included on the US versions, and a couple on the US version of Rubber Soul that are missing from the UK version. These are available on the Past Masters disks. Meet the Beatles is sort of like With the Beatles, but again the song mix is very different.

Have fun listening...
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 23
I would listen to them in the order they were published. See how the music changed as they traveled and grew.

Apr 19, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I would listen to them in the order they were published. See how the music changed as they traveled and grew.

An excellent idea...however, you now have to run out and buy the rest of them.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 23
my favorites have always been, 1.abbey road 2.white album 3.rubber soul 4.revolver. they all sound popish to me.IMO you really need to get the white album,its pretty special.

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 23
When I first started listening to the beatles years ago, I started out with Abbey Road and followed up with Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, and so on.

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 23
The Beatles are pop, albeit later on psychedelic experimental pop. But of course even their later work will sound like pop if you've heard any modern experiemental movements in music.

That said, it's fooking brilliant. I heartily second the suggestion to get them all and listen in the order in which they are published. Also, make sure you get the UK editions, as generally the US tracklists are inferior.

However, be aware that you can't really go wrong. I started out with / grew up on Sgt. Pepper. Actually, I grew up on all of them.. but I really got started with that one.

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 23
i'm showing my age here but,when i was 8 or 9 i remember going with my sister (13) and here friends to get one of the first 45's to hit the shelves. it was either "love me do" or "i saw her standing there". maybe both. i can remember them listening to it over and over and over etc.

Apr 19, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Guardian
Also, make sure you get the UK editions, as generally the US tracklists are inferior.

Two comments:

1) I'm not aware that anything BUT the UK versions are available today as new product. Certainly not in CD, at any rate.

2) US tracklists inferior?? Yo momma!!!
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 23
Early Beatles - Not much avant garde music here, and the lyrics are mostly teen pop. The playing is less polished and assured, but the vocals are great. At least the CD releases of these are in mono, instead of the pseudo stereo that Capital mixed for the U.S. release of these albums.

Please Please Me and With the Beatles - Not much here beyond teen pop music

Beatles for Sale (the first inkling that something special was brewing within this band can be heard in I'm a Loser, I'll Follow the Sun, and Eight Days a Week.)

Middle Beatles - This is what happens when you mix musical genius with middle eastern philosophy and mind expanding/mood altering drugs. This is the mother load of Beatles as far as musical experimentation

Rubber Soul (Good stuff in here!)

Revolver (More and better stuff here!)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Either you love it or you hate it, but Pepper should be listened to in its entirety, as it was created as a concept album)

Magical Mystery Tour (Essential for Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Fool on the Hill, and I am the Walrus.)

*You are missing the (2-CD) The Beatles (The White Album) Go get it! Lots of great experimental Beatles tracks on this one.

Late Beatles - A mixed bag, some really good lesser played (on the radio) tracks here.

Abbey Road (The tracks on this whole album go together well, especially what would be side 2 in LP format, From Here Comes the Sun, through to the last track, Her Majesty, just great.)

Hey Jude - (This is a collection of later singles. The title song at 7 minutes and 11 seconds, in length in case you're ever asked this in a trivia contest, is about 4 minutes too long.)

Let it Be (Let It Be is a great song, but this track and several other were remixed, sweetened with string sections by record producer Phil (Honest, Your Honor, I didn't know the gun was loaded) Specter.

Apr 19, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 23
I love the song, "Hey Jude!" I think its length is perfect, as is the composition.

Beautiful song.

Apr 19, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Two comments:

1) I'm not aware that anything BUT the UK versions are available today as new product. Certainly not in CD, at any rate.

mad.gif
biggrin.gif

1) I must be confused by the differences between the US and UK vinyl. I certainly hope that the original UK tracklists are the ones available on CD...

2) Ooh, don't be steppin', bizzitch!!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Just jerking your chain. I was raised on the old vinyl, and it's what the albums in question are all about to me. I actually have to burn my own US versions of the CD's in question.

biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Early Beatles - At least the CD releases of these are in mono, instead of the pseudo stereo that Capital mixed for the U.S. release of these albums.

actually, the EMI engineers mixed ALL the beatles albums in both a true stereo and mono mix. i don't remember any US releases in 'pseudo-mono.'

but some people like the early mono mixes. i think the stereo is far superior. you have not lived until you've heard the stereo hard day's night album, IMO (actually, in the US it was called 'something new').

Quote:

yes, the US track lists WERE far inferior because they were cut. i suppose that's not a bad thing for the early albums. but sgt. pepper was the first album with the same track listing in the UK and the US. thus, rubber soul and revolver -- the great masterpieces -- were not the original UK tracklisting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back