Which amp to get for AKG K702 and Shure se530 combo?
Jul 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 23
well you do benefit from them being amped with the icon but if the amp is just for them then you could live with out it but the difference the icon really makes is the DAC in it.

if you ever want to run things off a laptop the sound on them is ususaly utter crap so u can use the icon instead which is vastly better. also if you use the line out on anything they dont have a volume control so and amp like the icon will give you volume control.

the fiio is fun and cheap and makes a good difference to the cheap stuff but for something like the 530 dont expect the E5 to help them much

sorry dont know about other amps, i didint want to be carrying some brick around so the icon suited me and ignored most other things

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 23
In no way I'm recommending this over a full size amp or anything, but you'd be surprised how even something like T4 can make K701/2's sound decent. Thing is that it's a pretty warm amp so it really compliments the K701's sound sig well (with Gain and Bass boost on of course). In that sense, I can see how something like D10 do have potential to sound nice with it. However, the detail retrieval is going to be nowhere near what you would get out of a fullsize amp, and that's pretty much what K701/2's are for in the first place.

As for the SE530's, I simply just don't attempt to amp them anymore since they're extremely efficient, and they tend to hiss with a lot of amps out there due to their sensitivity.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #18 of 23
Funny you should mention that very combo, as I run the K701s and the se530s too. With what amp? The Headroom Portable Micro w/DAC. The sound is full, rich, detailed and easy to listen to for hours. I highly recommend it with the headphones you own. It has a gain switch on the front so you can pick the correct level for each set of cans (I use low for the Shure's and medium for the AKGs). You should give it a listen - i think you'll like what you hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!

I see a lot of iBasso reviews here. is it that good an amp?

i also saw a review of pico vs iBasso, according to which, the iBasso was not even worth mentioning..

Basically - i will be using the AKG702 pair at home and se530 for commute paired with a classic ipod (do you recommend some other players? as the ipod does hiss a bit on both the phones), which i was planning on using rockbox on the ipod in order to play flac files.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch in advance.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well you do benefit from them being amped with the icon but if the amp is just for them then you could live with out it but the difference the icon really makes is the DAC in it.

if you ever want to run things off a laptop the sound on them is ususaly utter crap so u can use the icon instead which is vastly better. also if you use the line out on anything they dont have a volume control so and amp like the icon will give you volume control.

the fiio is fun and cheap and makes a good difference to the cheap stuff but for something like the 530 dont expect the E5 to help them much

sorry dont know about other amps, i didint want to be carrying some brick around so the icon suited me and ignored most other things

Would the Icon DAC "replace" the player's DAC?

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #20 of 23
Been so hung up with work, that didn't have time to check on this site @@
Thanks for the replies and recommendations, and DeusEx, thanks for keeping this discussion going haha.

The Headroom Portable Micro w/DAC looks great, seems like a wonderful portable solution.
How much does it impact the SE530's though?

the LOD seems interesting. Watched a youtube vid (YouTube - How to: Tiny iPod LOD (Line Out Dock)) on how to make one, possibly with the purchase of an amp i'd attempt that as well.

I must confess, having read PinkFloyd's review on the Heed Audio CanAmp, am now very interested in it..

Btw, were any of ya able to get rid of the hiss that iPods put off for the headphones? If so, how? I read that attenuators help, but is that the only solution?

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I attempted to drive a pair of K701s with an RSA hornet for way too long before buying a heed canamp and I can tell you right now I don't think there is a portable amp out there which is actually a portable size thatcan do justice to a pair of K70Xs. If you haven't considered a canamp for your cans you might want to look into it.

For DT880 (250 ohms / higher), K701, and HD600 (and higher HD650/800), I would stay away from portable amps as to really get their best you would need a full desktop amp.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 23
Throw in my 2 cents. I have the exact same portable/home phones. SE530s, and the K701s.

I bought a RSA Predator, and find the predator is great with the SE530s (which are very easy to drive), and find that the SE530 with a LOD from an iPod, the predator gives me far less hiss than straight out the headphone jack. I find a small increase in SQ with the predator/lod, but to be honest the SE530s sound really good straight out of a headphone jack too. They really don't need much amping. But the hiss did drive me crazy, so I'm glad about the cleanliness of the pred/lod combo.

Ray said the predator would drive the k701s, but IMO it's not quite up to snuff. The pred starts to distort and clip just before the sound becomes full enough to my ears with the K701s. Now I don't find this a disappointment, because the k701s are beasts, and the predator is practically the size of a matchbox. I was hoping for a good match, not expecting.

So then I bought a Lisa III from Triad audio, and I find the K701s sounds great with it. Again, using a LOD on an iPod to the Lisa III. A ton of bass (adjustable) and I can crank them very full without distortion.

Anyone else using a Lisa III/PPA/M3 with K701s? What is your take? I'm curious to know if the K701s will open up even more with a larger amp? or am I at a good sweet spot now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back