Which amp for the following headphones is the best?
Jul 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

VALIENTE

1000+ Head-Fier
Wooaudio 6, Burson HA 160, Mad Ear + HD, or your suggestion.
biggrin.gif

Which will provide the best SYNERGY with the headphones below?
biggrin.gif

Grado RS1i, Denon D7000, AKG K701 will be the headphones.
biggrin.gif

Thank you buddies.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Based on all the reviews... the MAD amps are likely to match as well as any (perhaps best) with the relatively low impedance of the Grados and Denons.  If it were my money... I'd get the MAD amp.

Though, the WA 6SEM is great with all my phones - I'd still likely opt for the MAD for Grados and Denons.

And... just to "confuse the issue" - I'm listening to the Whiplash Millett Mini-Max with my Grados and Denons, right now... and... it is simply superb!  A huge value!

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Currently you only own SR60 and K701 don't you? I wouldn't get an amp until you at least have the RS1i then. Headphones should come before anything else.

Anyway, I would most likely put it like this: Burson HA-160>MAD Ear+ HD>Wooaudio 6

I own MAD Ear+ HD and have had the Burson on loan to me for a week. I am pretty sure the Burson will sound better than the MAD with the Denon and AKG, but we all know the MAD Ear+ HD is THE amp for Grado's, especially the RS1(i). The Burson was great with my Grado HF-2, but the MAD had the edge imo. In a few days I will have traded my HF-2 for Denon D5000 for a few weeks, so I can make comments on how Denons pair with solid state (MisterX M3) and tube amps (MAD Ear+ HD).

In conclusion, the K701 is better with the Burson HA-160 and Grado RS1i with MAD Ear+ HD. Never really listened to a Denon, nor Wooaudio 6, so I cannot comment on that.

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 5
I feel that if you are looking at an amp to acheive synergy with the D7000 than solid state is the way to go IME.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 5
A Talisman 
tongue.gif

IMO, go with the Burson, can't really go wrong with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back