Which amp for Sony MDR-Z1R
Jan 16, 2020 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MisterMoJo

500+ Head-Fier
I know the Sony amp/dac would be a good combo, but not really interested in a new DAC. I am currently using a yggy and an Asgard 2 fed via USB from my computer. I want to keep my headphones and DAC the same. Which amp should I get? Price range: $2000-3000. I listen to a lot of classical soundtracks and classic rock.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 5
I use the Z1R almost every day. It's a very easy to drive pair and in my experience it pairs well with anything and sounds like the amp. I use it with the WA8, AK1000, and Hugo 2, but I've also plugged it into a lot of things. My favorite travel set is the Z1R with WA8, but that may not be the ideal thing for classical. (Hugo 2 is better for classical probably, but I know you don't want a new DAC)

But again, I think if you find an amp you enjoy, I think it probably will work very well with the Z1R

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 5
I use the Z1R almost every day. It's a very easy to drive pair and in my experience it pairs well with anything and sounds like the amp. I use it with the WA8, AK1000, and Hugo 2, but I've also plugged it into a lot of things. My favorite travel set is the Z1R with WA8, but that may not be the ideal thing for classical. (Hugo 2 is better for classical probably, but I know you don't want a new DAC)

But again, I think if you find an amp you enjoy, I think it probably will work very well with the Z1R
Cool. I found this amp:
Pro iCAN by iFi audio | Professional Studio Grade Headphone Amplifier
It has stuff I want. What do you think? Too much power?

edit:
There's also this:
https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-xe/?lang=en
Very similar.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back