Which AMP, DAC or anything else for AKG K 701?
Jul 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 26
maybe also consider the zero dac that's so popular on these forums.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #19 of 26
can the zero drive the k701 (that sounds strange for its price)?

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #20 of 26
I already posted this in another thread. But what about keces 131 dac + Heed can amp? That's what I'm planning on getting, not sure about the amp tho. Or if it's wise to run the keces from my iMacs optical out...

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 26
both my predator and my iqube drive the k701 well!
So do not need to spend huge amounts to get them to perform!
Did try them out of a cmoy once for laughs and all can say is that it was emotional!
Put the pennies in and get the rewards!

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 26
I agree that there is this conception that K701s are so finicky, and one must get an expensive amp to enjoy them. I've found this to be untrue. Unless you are a basshead, you'll likely enjoy them right out of iPod. Of course, they won't be showing all their potential, but to me, they were a pleasure to listen that way. And on a 5G iPod, 60-70% volume setting was plenty loud.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Yamaha RX-V863 sounds great for your blu-ray needs. I would guess, however, that your friend's cheap headphone amplifier is still better than the HP amp circuit in that receiver.

I wouldn't guess that at all. Yamaha typically implements their headphone sections by stepping down the speaker amps through a nest of resistors. Reportedly, this method can cause some audible coloration of low-impedance phones, but with reasonably high-impedance phones like the 701s, it really shouldn't effect them at all. In other words, the headphone section of the Yamaha should be exactly as good as the rest of the receiver, and it should be able to drive high impedance phones well. Better, actually, than it will drive low impedance phones.

If the original poster intends to buy a quality surround sound receiver anyway, the first thing I'd recommend is that he write to Yamaha (or whoever) and ask about the headphone section of that particular receiver. I'd bet the farm it simply uses, and steps down, two of the speaker amps, but it can't hurt to ask. If that is the answer, it is probably the equal of most mid-level home headphone amps (my 30-something year old Harman Kardon integrated amp holds its own very well). I'd buy the AV receiver. Then I'd get in 2 or three pairs of premium phones, test them, compare them and send back the ones you don't want to keep.

Then you're started. You may eventually decide you want to try a dedicated headphone amp, or you may be enjoying the music so much that you really don't have time to think about that.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back