Which 5.1 speaker should I buy? budget is $350.
Jul 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LoveKnight

100+ Head-Fier
Yes. That is right. My brother needs to buy a 5.1 speaker for movies, musics and games. Of course, main use is for movies. I am having an eye on Logitech Z5500 but not sure if this choice is good or not. He is going to buy a receiver on another beautiful day so this is the first thing he wants to buy first before a receiver. I am not good at choosing speakers for movies, etc so I would like to ask for your advice. Thanks a lot!

Some of terminologies I know are dts, dolby surround, THX.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Yes. That is right. My brother needs to buy a 5.1 speaker for movies, musics and games. Of course, main use is for movies. I am having an eye on Logitech Z5500 but not sure if this choice is good or not. He is going to buy a receiver on another beautiful day so this is the first thing he wants to buy first before a receiver. I am not good at choosing speakers for movies, etc so I would like to ask for your advice. Thanks a lot!

Some of terminologies I know are dts, dolby surround, THX.

So he wants to buy a 5.1 speaker set ($350) and buy a receiver "on another beautiful day"?
Does he have a budget for a receiver, maybe buy a used receiver off Craiglist?

Klipsch HD500 $311 5.1 speaker set (Free shipping) at Amazon.

The website AVSforum & AVforum and great sites for audio recomendations (non-headphone stuff).

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Oh I am sorry, I just checked the price of Logitech Z5500 on Amazon and it is out of the budget's range. Really sorry for that.
He wants to buy speakers first and then he is going to buy receiver few months later.

Klipsch HD500 $311 5.1 speaker set. Thanks, I will take a note of it.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Oh I am sorry, I just checked the price of Logitech Z5500 on Amazon and it is out of the budget's range. Really sorry for that.
He wants to buy speakers first and then he is going to buy receiver few months later.

Klipsch HD500 $311 5.1 speaker set. Thanks, I take a note of it.

Sale prices on the Klipsch HD500 can change from day to day.
It just went up to $318 in the past 5 minutes.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Thank goodness u didn't go with a Z5500! It's cheap, muddy awful sound would absolutely ruin music and for dialogue, mids it wouldn't be so great for movies either! I would gladly go with a cheap/used coax/optical receiver with bookshelf/floor standers than a Z5500 
deadhorse.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Eeesh.  I recommend spend 350 on just a receiver and a pair of bookshelves in the first place.  Later on you can eventually upgrade with a sub, and then your center and surrounds.  The good thing is, spending money on a good pair of main bookshelf speakers, you'll get bass that goes just as low as those cheap subs that come with entry level multimedia sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back