Where's pin 1 on an AD8620?
Aug 11, 2004 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nisbeth

Headphoneus Supremus
This might be a stupid question but I can't for the life of me find anything on any of my AD86x0-opamps that indicate pin 1 and the datasheet isn't much help as far as I can see. Which rule of thumb/part of the datasheet did I overlook?
rolleyes.gif

/U.

Aug 11, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 11
The "top" of a chip is usually marked with a physical notch in the chip, but in the case of the AD8620 there is a "painted" notch. Orient the "notch" so it is at the top, you will have 4 pins on each side. Pin #1 is in the upper left hand corner. Pin #4 in the lower left, pin #5 upper right, and pin #8 in the lower right.

Aug 11, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Before you rake AD over the coals, did you look at the pdf? There are at least 2 ways of determining the orientation of the so8: the bevel on the pin 1 edge, and the orientation of the text with pin 1 in the lower left corner.

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 11
I did look at the datasheet, but to be honest I didn't find it very helpful. I had the painted "dot" pegged for being the indicator but I wasn't sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

I could have just gone with my best guess, but I have tried making "split second decisions" like that before and I am almost always wrong
frown.gif
(I could of course have tried to capitalize on this and done the reverse of what I originally thought and then tried it, but....
wink.gif
)

/U.

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 11
The bevel on the side of the chip seems to be a near-universal standard for SOIC. The next most common is a shallow divot in the top surface of the chip near pin 1.

Aug 13, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 11
The little divot shows up in this pic.
I sometimes use a little penlight at a very low angle to the chip to helps find it. The hard shadow makes the bevel and divot really show up well.
8610top.jpg

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 11
I fried my ad8620 guessing which side is which...... it was probly my unlucky day.... lol oh well, 50/50, i guess thats a prett big chance of putting it in wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back