Where to go with portable rig
Oct 26, 2007 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tom_s252

Head-Fier
I have Sennheiser PX200s, and I'm not overly fond of them. They were fine in the good old days when I didn't care as much, but now, especially having heard better stuff, they're just not cutting the mustard; woolly in the low mids and harsh in the highs without achieving clarity.

Where to go? I need something with a degree of isolation, as I travel on buses, trains and occasionally planes. IEMs? Another closed, portable option?

They'll be fed from my GoVibe, source being either my laptop or an MP3 player that I'll be buying shortly, after my last one died (but that's for another thread). Advise me, people!

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Budget?

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Budget not fixed at this point. Not unlimited, but throw me some ideas and I'll see if they seem reasonable for the money!

Oct 26, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Upon first glance at the title, I thought you were asking where to go (literally) to listen to your portable rig.

Anyways, if you want to maximize portability, then IEM is the way to go (pun intended). I love the Etymotic ER4P (under $200). It also sounds great without a separate headphone amp if you really want to be mobile. Isolation is very good with the triple flange and foam tips.

I've also read many good things about the Sennheiser HD25-1 (under $200). I demoed them briefly, and they sound very good. People also report that they're very sturdy and you don't have to worry too much about breaking them.

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Agree with Socrates on the ER4P, if you want more bass try the Triple Fi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back