Where to buy ATH-AD900 / recommendations
Jan 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Marl

100+ Head-Fier
Is Audiocubes the best place to buy these phones? How fast is shipping?

Also, would the audio-technica ad900 sound suit my needs?

I mostly listen to:

folk
acoustic stuff
female vocals
rock
progressive
indie-rock

some:

electronic stuff
post-rock
hip-hop
house

Recommend some other phones if you think these are unsuited, unamped, for sub 250. My source is an EMU 0404 right from the headphone out. Changing that isn't an option right now, nor is an amp.

I was also looking at denon d2000s.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Audiocubes and Musician's Friend are about the same price.

Audiocubes price doesn't take into account for duty that you have to pay off after your headphone arrives. Musician's Friend has theirs in stock, so no duty charge, and free shipping.

Up to you.

Jan 2, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 5
For D2000, get it from Buy.com Also use this coupon, if you're a new customer. Coupons - Buy.com

For AD900, yeah, apparently there aren't many places that sell it anymore.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 5
For Audiocubes there's only an additional $10 or so for shipping, there should be no additional fees aside from that. It's not uncommon for them to have free shipping days as well.

I think the AD900s would work well for the genres you mentioned but I have not heard the Denons.

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 5
I have both! And I like them both; I swap them around a lot. For acoustic-type music, I'd say the AD900s are better, because they're really airy and clear with a great soundstage, but don't have much low bass. However, the Denons are really smooth sounding with way more bass. They both can take EQ pretty well if you like using it, and can really give the AD900s some bass boost if you want it. I would say the AD900s are more comfortable but the D2000s are still pretty nice. It's really up to you and how you like things to sound. To sum up: AD900 = bright and clear, D2000 = smooth and warm (I think that's a good thing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back