Where next after Momentums?
May 9, 2014 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gandt10

New Head-Fier
Taken a look around and suspect I may be more or less at a brick wall. I have a Fiio X5 and Momentums. Love the sound but, in the nature of these things can't help wondering if there is even more to be got from the Fiio. Maybe I'm spoilt but there are a few things I imagine could be better.

(Don't know if this is full of my own terminology but hope experienced audiophile types will know what I mean if what I say is a bit bespoke...) 

What I like about the Momentums
a) Form factor
b) Looks
c) Detail
d) Seem "fast" the crack of drumstick on rim, real "bomp" on bass drum that kind of leading edge of sounds is rendered really well

What I think could be better
a) Depth - maybe the same as soundstage don't get much of a sense of layers  of instruments (same as space around?)  but do hear plenty of little details
b) Mild congestion when things get very busy - what I mean is that sometimes loud music with lots of things going on will lose a bit of separation and detail
c) Very low and very high sounds less good than mids

I'm not a bass fiend but listen to all kinds of music so it'd need to be an all rounder. I'd love to retain the "smaller" form factor of the Momentums if at all possible. I don't reject in ears but personally my (admittedly typically inexpensive) purchases in the past have always been a poor fit and fallen out of my ears. Sturdiness matters a lot. Replacement cables are important (since very many have broken in the past) and its got be practical for trains, planes and walks. The public context means it needs not to leak sound.

Don't mean to sound needy but despite a fair amount of hunting I can't get a sense  of something that would be  "clear blue water" upgrade. I'm hoping someone out there has been through the same sort of path and can make some clever suggestions.

Thanks for your time. All suggestions gratefully received.

Graham

May 11, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 7
In the same price range more or less, other closed headphones to consider are:

NAD HP50 (tho' the oddly shaped headband...)
Sony MDR-7520
Focal Spirit 
_______

Have a look at this thread - great info and entirely up to date: http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-16-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

May 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 7
The Focal Spirit line is definitely worth a look (have not heard the Classic, but like the Pro quite a bit).
Another consideration if you like your sound a touch warm, but with better extension at both ends than the Momentum provides, would be the Beyerdynamic T51p, a really small and portable, yet very comfortable on-ear.

May 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 7
While I think the HP50s are better than the Momentums in terms of timbral accuracy and dynamic impact, I think you will have to go up a price tier to have significant improvements in overall sound quality.   Something like a HE500 or LCD2 or even HD650s (in order of increasing warmth).

May 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 7
While I think the HP50s are better than the Momentums in terms of timbral accuracy and dynamic impact, I think you will have to go up a price tier to have significant improvements in overall sound quality.   Something like a HE500 or LCD2 or even HD650s (in order of increasing warmth).

+1

May 14, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Final audio design- pandora hope 6 
tongue.gif

May 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I love my momentum but I would love to get a AIAIAI TMA-1....
Really good soundstage, deep deep bass, luscious mids not to forget the highs which for me are just the perfect amount....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back