Where Is My Bottleneck ?
Sep 19, 2007 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zhix78

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, Mods, I really do not know which forum does this question belong to. Please move this if you think i have posted in the wrong forum.

I have a question for all the experts here. Recently I bought a CD call "Astrud Gilberto - Astrud Gilberto's Finest Hour" which i tested at THAT CD SHOP using the the equipment there. A CD Player + An Amp + AKG "Not Sure What Model". I was blown away by the quality of the mastering and promptly brought a copy.

When I ripped the CD using EAC (WAV) and played back on my iAudio X5L + SF5 + ES2, the quality of the song is no where near what i heard at the THAT CD SHOP.

The wide soundstage was gone, the dymanic equipment sounds were gone. I mean, it still sounds good on my portable setup but nowhere as good as what I heard at the shop.

My question is .. So where is my bottleneck ? My source ? My IEMs ? Are portable setup really so far apart from those huge CD players+amps+big headphones?

Is there no way I can bridge the gap between CD Players+AMps+Big Headphones ?

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm gonna take a wild guess - your back pocket.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna take a wild guess - your back pocket.

icon10.gif

X2

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 11
I agree with the two above!
In my opinion a portable system (DAP, portable amplifier, IEM) can not compete with a full sized system when it comes to sound quality.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 11
Even with the ES2s, you're going to kill the soundstage with an IEM. Plus, even at lossless there is just something that doesn't sound as good about files on an MP3 player compared to a cdp. At least, in my opinion. I'm not sure what amp they had at the store, but it was probably better than most portable amps will be.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 11
yeah, soundstage and airyness would be lacking with IEMs. You have to keep in mind that, lacking mixing or DSP effects, 'soundstage' is the enemy of isolation, and vice-versa.

Would help to have some idea which AKGs you used at the store.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 11
K100?!

that aint much of a headphone. open, though (iirc), and some semblance of the AKG sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back