Where did the HRT hype go?
Oct 14, 2016 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stuck limo

Formerly with Light Harmonic/LH Labs
Seems like when I first started getting into headphones and DACs in about 2011/2012ish, the HRT Music Streamer line was pretty hot ****. Lots of recommendations for them, lots of discussion....now I hear literally almost nothing about them. What happened? Did smaller companies come in and start blowing them away or did the hype just die out?

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 10
The market for small dac/amps exploded, literally, but I would not say that they were blown away by other companies. Lack of marketing can be a bitch, but regardless you should try HRT Microstreamer, wicked device.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Dare I say, HRT "lost their Mojo." I'm not saying they aren't making good products anymore, but the Mojo hype came and overshadowed HRT and then I don't remember them coming up with anything new after. So basically, in marketing terms, they lost their Mojo.

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 10
  Dare I say, HRT "lost their Mojo." I'm not saying they aren't making good products anymore, but the Mojo hype came and overshadowed HRT and then I don't remember them coming up with anything new after. So basically, in marketing terms, they lost their mojo.

Nicely said, by the way are you in some kind of marketing team by accident :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 10
I was using a MusicStreamer II back when they came out and found it to be a great sounding DAC. Had an urge to get a II+, but not sure what the status is of the company. Line is a bit stale.....Still might grab one.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 10
I was a fan of HRT until i got the Modi2u. Actually i owned the Music Streamer 2 for years then I bought the Music Streamer 3 at the same time with the Schiit dac. To me the Modi is better. It has a 3D soundstage and more natural sound compared to a flat soundstage and weird glare (esp in the high-mids) of the HRT dacs.
Maybe the hype went away because of the competition.

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 10
The HRT music streamer HD is a big improvement over the Pro and III but needs a decent power supply to realise it's full potential and I feel was the reason for many mediocre reviews it got(stereophile).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back