Where can I get connectors for HD650 DIY cable?
Aug 19, 2005 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
Topic tells it all. One finnish DIY cable maker would make me a cable for my senns but we don't know where to get those rare connectors which Sennheiser uses. Look at the pic if you don't know what I mean.

Picture

We have already asked the Finnish importer about those Cardas connectors but they said that it's not sold separately. I find that weird because Moon Audio have Cardas connectors on their HD650 cables.

So where can I get those?

Aug 20, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 16
You can't, as your importer has already stated.
AFIK, Moon Audio is the only one other than Cardas that can use the Cardas Senn connectors.

What everyone else does is either produces their own connectors (e.g., Zu cables) or splices the connectors off from Senn 650/600/580 cables.

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Can't you just cut off the connectors from those $14 HD650 replacement cables from Sennheiser?

Aug 20, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 16
you sure can
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Can't you just cut off the connectors from those $14 HD650 replacement cables from Sennheiser?

Yeah we thought that but this guy who's going to make the cable said that it may not look so "neat" when you have to cut it off. But maybe that's the only way to do it. Thank you for help.

Aug 20, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 16
That looks very nice. I hope my cable guy can do the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is one of his cables.

Aug 21, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 16
well, just tell him neatness is important to you
smily_headphones1.gif
. You can normally judge how much experience an assembler has from inspecting how clean his work is.

Good luck on your senn cable! Pm me pics of it when you receive it, id like to see how your cable turns out.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 16
Could someone tell me what would the cheapest place to get the original HD650 cable. I need it just for the connectors. My local dealer gave me a stunning 29EUR price. Isn't that quite expensive?

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Does anyone see any difference splicing vs. soldering directly to the pins of the connector? For my last build I soldered direct to the pins but it was a HUGE hassle, and for my next I'm thinking wout a 1/4" of 'cheap' wire really degrade the signal much at all?

In the case of the Headphile BlackSilver it made a difference. First I wasn't too happy with it though, because now it was a bit too bright and sleek. But with a different system configuration it turned out to be ideal the way it is -- it's just that I can't switch back to the original state anymore for a final comparison.

Of course soldering directly to the pins is a hassle, and I'm not sure if it pays off in each case. After all I've made three cables that way now -- it's hard to choose the second best variant.

peacesign.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 16
attachment.php

Left: Headphile BlackSilver; right: homegrown cable (silver-plated copper magnet wire of 0.04 mm Ø)

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back