Where can I get Alessandro M1? is it good?
Aug 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MICgammer

New Head-Fier
Hi Hifi fans. I'm new here, wondering get a good headset.

some said M1 is the best at the price of $100.

what do yo think?

And where can I get M1, only on it's official website?

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
Hi Hifi fans. I'm new here, wondering get a good headset.

some said M1 is the best at the price of $100.

what do yo think?

And where can I get M1, only on it's official website?

Yes, they're good...depending on the kind of music you like. And they dont need lots of power, they work fine unamped.

Aside from the website, you could try at local stores...maybe guitar center.  

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 16
They are a good deal for Grados but not even the best headphone for $100 IMO.  Not even close really unless you are looking for that specific signature. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 16
They are the best for that sound signature. I LOVE them, of course my Audio Technica M50's have more bass but that's all they win at. Also whoever suggested Guitar Center might have them you are wrong. Also do you know MS1's are OPEN and not closed, this means that other people will easily be able to distinquish what you are listening to.

Your best off buying straight from the manufactuer (Allesandro).

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
They are the best for that sound signature. I LOVE them, of course my Audio Technica M50's have more bass but that's all they win at. Also whoever suggested Guitar Center might have them you are wrong. Also do you know MS1's are OPEN and not closed, this means that other people will easily be able to distinquish what you are listening to.

Your best off buying straight from the manufactuer (Allesandro).

Sorry to disagree but the M50 beats the MS1i handily in every aspect not just bass.  Even the 225i I'm listening to is better than the MS1i and still short of the M50 in most respects.  W/ the exception of being closed versus open.  Honestly I'd rather listen to DBI700s for $30 than the MS1i.  

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
What is the brand name Hippo? Is it good?
M1's price goes up to $150

If you buy Alessandros MS! direct from Alessandro it costs $99 ONLY and that includes shipping anywhere on the planet - not a penny more..

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
What is the brand name Hippo? Is it good?
M1's price goes up to $150

ANY brand name you mention is good - it all depends on what you are looking for.

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Sorry to disagree but the M50 beats the MS1i handily in every aspect not just bass.  Even the 225i I'm listening to is better than the MS1i and still short of the M50 in most respects.  W/ the exception of being closed versus open.  Honestly I'd rather listen to DBI700s for $30 than the MS1i.  

The M50's have more bass but it's muddy compared to the bass of the MS1i. The MS1i also has better mids but gets beat in the highs. I like both, and they are hard to beat in this price range, but I'm finding there are certain recordings where the MS1's just sound better to me (maybe due to them being open). I don't understand your comment about the DBI's. They are great headphones that might be better than both, depending on who you ask, although they show no mercy with badly recorded material or low bitrate MP3's.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 16
My M50s are modded so I have no muddy bass or recessed mids.  The only thing the MS1 sounds better to me at is the openness obviously and if you like that grainy coloration for say rock.  M50s are much smoother, fuller, richer, more detailed.  I think if someone wanted an aggressive phone w/ good attack for rock that the DBI would be better than the MS1 since its smoother and more detailed.  Obviously Grados are great for that transparency and open soundstage feel.  You are right about the DBI and source material.  The MS1 would be better for that for sure.  Thats not a huge deal for me, I've got my ESP950s and no Grado is going to beat those on that front.  Its a matter preference at the end of the day.  

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 16
I agree, the M50's are noticeably clearer and more detailed. The MS1's get labeled as a rock headphone, but I've found them just as great with folk, soul and even certain electronic recordings. 

I'm beginning to believe the DBI's may be in the league of the Shure 750DJ. This was my impression after a quick comparison, so I'll probably have to listen to them more. The DBI's are more bassy than the Shures, but they both have nice, clean bass  that can be very strong with bass heavy music, but doesn't become overwhelming. Both are very solid in the mids and sound stage seemed similar. My only complaint about the DBI's is the highs are a bit too wild. I found them way too harsh when I first got them, but either they've gotten better with use, or I've adjusted to their sound.

I should mention I haven't even burned in the M50's. I've been trying to keep them off my head since I haven't decided if I will be keeping them, so maybe they are the winner in their price range after burn in and mods. They, along with the MS1's are definitely safe buys since they are very easy to sell if you don't like them.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Oh the highs on the DBI are great and should settle down.  They are better than the ER4S IMO.  Same for the M50 bass.  Just play some music through them at listening level to burn-in for a day or two.  Try out the 6 hole balance mod too before you make your decision to return them.  I'd hate for you to miss out on a great headphone w/o hearing what they can do.  In the end they may not be for you, but at least you'll know for sure.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 16
I threw out the box for the M50's by mistake. It got mixed up with some other boxes I was clearing out in storage unfortunately. There is a lot to like about them, my only concern was the bass seemed overpowering with bass-heavy music, but if that settles down with use and the mod, then they will be worth keeping. I'm still undecided though, since I got the Shures and the DBI's seem to get better and better with use, but I still like the combination of warm sound and crisp highs the M50's have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back