Where can I find blueprints/component list for a Blue Hawaii?
Jan 27, 2004 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been kinda into tubes lately and want to study different kinds of amplifiers. So I was wondering, where can I find a scheme/component list for it so I can check estimated cost and stuff like that.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Jan 27, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 15
Allright, thanks for the hint kevin. Though im not that much of an expert to make out stuff of sloppy (
wink.gif
) made schematics. If I had a CAD (or alike) made scheme that would be much easier, not that im planning on building one yet. Gonna have to save up money for three years that would totaly be about $7500 dollars to buy Omega 2 + CD Player + the amp parts to actually build it. I allready have a few tubes though wich can come in handy when I'll start the project, I have two EL34's and some other.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Jan 27, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Kevin, one thing though. This picture (attached) lets say ím going to build the amp for a pair of Omega 2's, I would then use the 5.1 Meg ½W resistor as R3 and the R2 with the 3.5Meg ½W resistor. But the R1 one, would i use the 375Kohm ½W resistor or the 3.5Meg ½W resistor?

Jan 28, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 15
The new power supply has adjustable bias. So you
set the bias for 560 volts. Each stax headphone gets
its own 4.7 meg resistor.

Jan 28, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 15
If you attempt to build this PLEASE be careful. With that much voltage floating around it will only take one slip of the hand to cause some pretty serious damage to you. Maybe start practicing with something cheap and easy like a CMOY, then build a Gilmore Dynamic, then look into doing high voltage amps like this one.

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 15
I know doug, I know. Right now im building a tube amplifier to get some more juice out of my HD600's. Building a Blue Hawaii is quite far away, as I said earlier, I need to save up money to buy Omega 2 first.

And when I have them, I will be VERY careful. I build amps in a somewhat odd (?) way, put in all the resistors, tubes bla bla bla first and last the power supply so you dont have to worry about me electirfying myself (and I will never
tongue.gif

Anyway, it's a long way there.

Jan 28, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 15
Good! Last thing we need is to lose a member here due to electrocution. Bad deal and very painful. I've only taken a 220V hit, but it was from a test bench capable of putting out something like 40 amps of current. The electricity entered near the knuckle of my left pinkie where it joins the hand, and exited out my right palm. My entire chest tensed up and all the muscles were contracted. Thank God I didn't have anything wrapped or gripped as I could have easily died before someone noticed and cut power. I had a LOT healthier respect of live circuits after that little scare. I even turned all pale afterwards and needed to sit down.

Jan 28, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 15
Ouch. The worst electric shock I've ever received was also a 220V. A cable (with a wallplug) was plugged into the wall and the cupper threads in the other end was just hanging out, so I tried touching them *BZZZT*. Though I was like 5 years old then, no risk for that now.

And now that im soon going to college, im wondering what education I'll take. I was thinking technics but now im not very sure, because I find electronics and such things more tempting than web design and stuff like that.

Anyhow, tanks for your concern doug.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 15
No problem. All the best with the career decision. I loved my nearly 10 years in electronics in the Navy. Great career and lots of fun.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 15
480 on a water heater. I was cool using one hand to take measurements. It arched across the probes and blew the tips clean away. Lost most of the hair on my hand and saw spots for awhile. My ears rang too.

My real concern building something like this would be testing it. After the measuments you'll have to plug in your headphones. Seems like if there's a problem you might destroy the headphones?

At least with regular headphones I have a beater pair to test my work after I've done something to my tube amp.

Mitch

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 15
And perhaps when I start to build it you could give me some advice because (as I've understood it) you have built at least one of them
confused.gif

And braillediver, I think you will build one of these things with the utmost causion, both for your own safety and the headphones.

Feb 8, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
The collectors of the pnp current source drive goes to all the other collectors, not to ground.

Do you mean the 2sa1968 pair? What about the 150k resistor, is it now attached to all the collectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back