When virtual forums meet real life.
Feb 6, 2008 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
18 year old owns a 500hp BMW M5. He goes on a BMW forum to ask how to best shift up at 140mph.

Rough shifts-M mode - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

Before the thread's over he's killed himself and four of his friends in his car.

Airstrip Crash- Florida- 5 killed- 2008 M5 - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

I know we have some members here that are younger as well, and have asked advice about fast cars, guns, etc.

Honestly, as a parent of two now, I just want to say that I'm not your dad, but stay safe out there. Even when it comes to headphones, save your hearing and turn it down. Tinnitus is far better than the more tragic example above, but I still don't wish it on anyone posting here for the pursuit of enjoyment.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 47
Wow, pretty sobering... definately, be careful with performance especially at 18 years old. I know I took some chances at that age and am only here because I got lucky. Fortunately, I didn't have the priviledge to have a car like that though.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 47
I am 19 and have driven several high performance cars before (and we're getting on the waiting list for the Audi R8!), and the best thing I have ever done regarding driving is high performance go-kart racing. The training they make you do at the track makes you such a better driver, and makes you so much aware. That experience is carried directly over to a car; in a go-kart you have to drive defensively, and assume the other person is an idiot. 50mph collisions in a go-kart HURT, even with bumpers and proper gear. Only took one to change my driving style forever.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 47
wow I remember reading that news story when it came out and thinking how stupid he was. hell I am also 18 and love going fast, but I am not stupid enough to go that fast w/ so many people in the car.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 47
Not only that, but if you know you're going to be blasting at that speed, then do SEVERAL test runs at normal speeds and slowly work it up to make damn sure you know the surface. And why didn't he test how long he needed for breaking, and how come he didn't mark it off so he would know what is safe?

It's really hard to get killed going in a straight line with a car as well engineered and stable at high speeds as the BMW M5. 140mph is barely breathing hard for it; their deaths are tragic because they were due to stupidity and so easily avoidable.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 47
Just this morning, I was driving home after finding that the work site was shut down, due to snow and ice. On the way, in morning traffic on I-435, I had to hit the brakes a little hard, skidded, overcorrected, overcorrected, turned 180, and not having been hit, slid almost gratefully off the highway. The ground, however, was NOT frozen [recent warm spell] and I was stuck for two hours until a fellow came along in a 4WD pickup and kindly pulled me out. I feel lucky, even with six hours squandered. My right hand was in a splint from a tendon getting buggered up, and I'm sure that was a big part of it, as I felt so clumsy at the wheel as I tried to deal with the skid. I can hear it now: "You know, that Laz is a really bad driver."

This thread reminds me of one a few months back, in which the OP wanted some advice on hard liquor. I won't say who it was, but given the avatar I thought to look up his profile: under 21. I scolded him a bit. I think we senior members should feel obliged to help the younger ones along any way we can.

Yes, the case of the kid with the BMW is very sad.

Laz

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 47
I've gone about 110 on 95 in a dodge intrepid, and it really feels like you're still in control. A car like his, 30 mph more is nothing. But I think if anyone is doing something like this, there should be no one else in the car, both for safety purposes and performance. Cars aren't optimal with boatloads of people inside.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18 year old owns a 500hp BMW M5. He goes on a BMW forum to ask how to best shift up at 140mph.

Rough shifts-M mode - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

Before the thread's over he's killed himself and four of his friends in his car.

Airstrip Crash- Florida- 5 killed- 2008 M5 - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

I know we have some members here that are younger as well, and have asked advice about fast cars, guns, etc.

Honestly, as a parent of two now, I just want to say that I'm not your dad, but stay safe out there. Even when it comes to headphones, save your hearing and turn it down. Tinnitus is far better than the more tragic example above, but I still don't wish it on anyone posting here for the pursuit of enjoyment.

lucky all you had was a hyundai excel when we were 18 and i had a toyota tercel otherwise we would have been toast too...sobering...i too had thought of getting junior a bmw if he turned out the way i wanted (like you with your stang gt) but after reading this probably best to do it the way we had it....simple and age appropriate..that includes limo rental for senior prom..not taking the beast out that night..

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 47
I'm pretty sure that people do dumb things whether or not they first check with the internet for input.

Last year there was a guy who asked on the SomethingAwful forums where to buy a particular kind of shotgun shell, and got an answer, and then went out and shot someone.

Was SA responsible? No! The guy was a nut! And the ammo wasn't that hard to find! Whether you tell him they have it at K-Mart or not, he was going to figure that out, since he was already bound and determined to shoot somebody.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lucky all you had was a hyundai excel when we were 18 and i had a toyota tercel otherwise we would have been toast too...sobering...i too had thought of getting junior a bmw if he turned out the way i wanted (like you with your stang gt) but after reading this probably best to do it the way we had it....simple and age appropriate..that includes limo rental for senior prom..not taking the beast out that night..

ain't that the truth 1911. we were idiots. thank goodness that excel was an inline 4 and would rattle apart above 35mph. still managed to be stupid with it tho, sigh.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 47
Be careful when handling high performance products. Cars, headphones, guns, etc.
Tragic it is.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back