When it comes to headphone cables that have separate left-right channels, AND separate left-right pins WITHIN each channel (like the Senn HD650), how does the wiring work? The cables seem to only have one conductor per channel, but wouldn't they need two?
Feb 16, 2022 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have some 5-year-old Senn HD6XX's, and the left ear is starting to go from a bad wire just below the connector.

I want to buy replacement cables, but I've noticed something:

The headphones have a left-side connector, and a right-side connector. This is self-explanatory to me. However, within each side's connectors, there are two differently-sized pins, visible here.

Thing is, Sennheiser's OEM cable appears to only have one conductor leading to each connector, so how does it interact with the two unique pins? Heck, even aftermarket cables often have only one conductor leading to each connector.

HOWEVER, there ARE some cables on the market which DO feature two conductors for EACH connector. Would this be superior in some way? Should I only consider connectors with this design, even though Senn's OEM design omits this consideration?

I know that what appears to be single-conductor wires COULD theoretically be co-axial wires with two conductors, but these wires are also so friggen small, I honestly can't see how they could fit two conductors in there. And I've worked with 22-24Ga wire before.

Any help with this is appreciated, thank you! :)

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 2
You did not closely at the Sennheiser OEM cable (picture), it does come with two prongs (conductors) on each connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back