When AKG K240S sound terrible..what do you do ?
Oct 22, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kahsu
Sometimes I find that people might associate not enough highs or lows for not being driven "loud" enough. Since SebastianMWS was saying that he cranked the iCute to 10 to "sense" the music that's why I did not think that particular K240s was defective.
wink.gif

I don't think it's the K240S that's defective, I think it's the discman. You're right that we could read his comments in both ways, but then how do we explain that he found the same problem with more than a half-dozen other headphones that sound very different from a K240S? It'll be easy enough for him to check a different source to test whether it's a signal issue.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 35
I agree there might be a problem related to his source. SebastianMWS, maybe you can give more details on if you only tried the headphones through your Discman or did you also try the heaphones with different source players straight or through the iCute?

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 35
Remember he tried most of the AKG line thru that Discman, and had the same sorts of problems.......one thing we know - it would not be so many that are wrong in that shop. Actually, the k240S is the one cheaper 'phone that I've retained. They continue to be very good value for the price. I simply use thinner foam, instead of the hardier stuff, and put on Beyer Velour pads.......one thing does puzzle me - why his friend did not insist he try the 'phones through one of their sources to prove the case on the spot.

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #34 of 35
Agreed. The AKG 240s I think is great for what it is. It's not a reference headphone or a detail monster, but it's pleasent enough and sounds acceptable from even the worst sources (sony vega tv).

If all of AKG sucks against Vivanco, I'll eat my hair.
wink.gif
I think it's just your preference for something a bit more top heavy.

If you'd like a more affordable Grado, you'll have to go Ms-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
While the K240S sure isn't everyone's taste, this comment of yours:

...makes me believe that the headphones themselves probably aren't the problem. In any case, did you seize the opportunity and also listen to all those phones on some other equipment in order to find out what kind sound you are after? That would make it easier to recommend you something similar sounding in the league of efficient low impedance headphones... Anyway, from your comments so far, I'd suggest to try the Creative HQ-1300, the Beyerdynamic DT440 and maybe one of the better Philips models (HP890/895/1000).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #35 of 35
I also think its the source.

I can't stand my K240S through my discman, a DNS400, even with my pimeta, it sounds pretty bad, no bass, horrible highs.

However, I love my 240s through my emu 1212m, they sound so awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back