What's your foobar2000 setup?
Mar 3, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #347 of 527
Just migrated from Mediamonkey to Foobar. Why? The spectrum graph was just too shiny for me to pass up. After spending a few hours wrapping my head around how layouts and components worked, I ended up with this.

Edit:
Here's a portable installation with my theme: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1a7h45w6x0d7zl8/foobar2000.rar

If you want to view your library by folder structure and your music is stored in C:\Path\To\Music\ you can get rid of the root nodes so you don't need to expand C:, Path:, To: and Music: in the Album List panel. I put an instruction text file for that in the folder.

Ctrl+P to access the Preferences to set up your Library.

To change various colors:
To start things off, open Preferences with Ctrl+P, Display -> Columns UI -> Colours and Fonts -> Change the colors here. Now you'll need to hunt around a bit.

For example, to change the pink "Now Playing" rectangular highlight color in the ELPlaylist panel:
1)  right click inside the ELPlaylist panel -> Settings
2)  Find the line: $if(%el_isplaying%,$gradientrect($sub($get(text.left),8),0,%el_width%,%el_height%,138-90-130,138-90-130,,verticle))

Here, the $gradientrect function draws the rectangle and does a gradient fill. You can google the function and you'll find this website which essentially says the first "138-90-130" is the the RGB value for the internal color (of the rectangle) and the second "138-90-130" is the RGB value for the border color. So change these to what you want.

3) $if($and(%el_selected%,$not(%el_isplaying%)),$gradientrect($sub($get(text.left),8),0,%el_width%,%el_height%,0-100-100,0-100-100,,verticle),)

Similarly change the two "0-100-100" to what you want. This will be the color of the rectangle showing what you selected/clicked on in the playlist.

To change the "Now Playing" text color
4) In the "Per Second" tab, you see:
$drawtextex($get(track.text),
            $get(text.left),0,$get(text.right),%el_height%,%PLAY.TEXT.COLOUR%,vcenter end_ellipsis)
5) Now, you can change %PLAY.TEXT.COLOUR% to the RGB value you want, OR you can click the "Field definition" tab at the very top and edit its value there.
6) In the "Field Definition" tab, you'll also see GROUP.TEXT.COLOUR and GROUP.GLOW.COLOUR, which sets the colour for the album/artist headings in the playlist.

To change the background color of the ELPlaylist panel
7) Click the "Style" tab and change the custom background color.

To change the teal color of the: time elapsed playing current song on the bottom
8) Right click around the area of the elapsed time -> Splitter Settings
9) "Script" tab -> "Per Second" tab -> change "0-220-215" to the RGB value you want.
10) To change the background color of this panel -> "Behaviour" tab -> "Change colour"

To change the color of the tabs (Playlist, Lyrics, Biography, Stats):
11) Right click in the area of the tabs -> Splitter Settings -> Script
12) I believe I set 0-220-215 as the color of the text when the tab is selected/active and 102-167-197 as the color when inactive.

Thankfully, right clicking the wave spectrum panel and the seekbar panel will let you change the colors with much less hassle.

And that should be most of the colors covered.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #348 of 527
man, that looks pretty sweet in the antiquated EL equipment-ish way. Kinda reminds me I need to try that game (Eden) someday too, now that I just got done with cross channel - took me like 3 years playing it on and off XD

As for foobar settings, I had some very elaborate custom skin back in the 0.8.x days but that's a thing of the past. Will go thru the entire thread when I get my DAC fixed and start using foobar again..
  Just migrated from Mediamonkey to Foobar. Why? The spectrum graph was just too shiny for me to pass up. After spending a few hours wrapping my head around how layouts and components worked, I ended up with this.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #351 of 527

Fixed.

Are there any good EQ presets? I don't have the patience to manually fiddle around with it.

:wink:

I'm the same way.

LOL, if I could do this at work I would have more than enough time. I don't even get to sit at my computer when home...

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #352 of 527

Fixed.

Are there any good EQ presets? I don't have the patience to manually fiddle around with it.

:wink:

I'm the same way.

Time and patience are not the only requirements to get it right. 
What helps is to start with the frequency response curve of your headphones/speakers and try to flatten it by the EQ settings, but there's many factors affecting it:
  1. the type of music, or even the specific recordings 
  2. all the devices in your signal path, in particular dac and amp
  3. volume level
  4. personal preferences
I have several presets for various combinations which give me the results I'm after (or at least a starting point), but I'm pretty sure they would not work well for others.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #353 of 527
To the point...

iTunes has built in presets (Rock, Classical...) but I refuse to use it for anything except putting songs on my iPod Classic.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #354 of 527
  Are there any good EQ presets? I don't have time to manually fiddle around with it.

There are presets that come with the base foobar2k install, but 'good' is such a subjective term for audio.  You really have to try them out with your music and gear and see if you find anything to your liking.  

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #357 of 527

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #358 of 527

I use a large interface with large volume and song sliders. I use the large interface to display both the library and the current album list with all the info. On tabs I have the equalizer(wonder why as I never use it), some general info - album art and lyrics and some technical info - meters, scopes, etc. I prefer darker interface as I use a laptop and dark extends battery life. No beauty added - simple and classical style. Under the hood all is bit perfect, WASAPI transport.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back