what's your favorite way to showcase your headphones?
Sep 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Soymilk

500+ Head-Fier
what do you like to use when a non audiophile friend discovers your expensive setup and asks to hear it to see if the money spent is "worth it"? or every once in a while listen to something that really benefits from having a good headphone setup that you can sit there and go wow, this is why i buy this stuff.

and somewhat related, what do you like to use to compare amps?

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 8
My friends can't really tell the difference between my setup and some other cheap headphones, that is, until you let them listen to a whole song, or two, or three. In fact, leave them alone in a room for a while if they really want to listen to them. Even for me, I need a bit of time to distinguish the certain qualities of a headphone; and sometimes, I would judge too quickly.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 8
find out what's his favorite song or what he current is listening to. play lossless version of that song to him on your headphone.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 8
crank the volume up on my amp, but on a bassy song and let them compare with their ipod earphones
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I put on Damien Rice - Cheers Darlin

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 8
First I usually try to find a song that I have that they like. Then I'll play a song like Pink Floyd's Time. After that I'll play something off Kind of Blue. I haven't had anyone that wasn't impressed yet.

As for what I used to evaluate? It's quite an extensive process of different segments of songs, different artists and genres. I don't believe anyone can just use one song, artist or genre to properly evaluate a headphone.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 8
I usually put on some Pink Floyd, Øystein Sevåg or Nils Lofgren.
...or let them put on some music they are familiar with.

Then make sure they listen to at least a couple of tracks.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 8
I invite them to bring their own music or pick something off the rack that they know. When someone starts hearing unknown things in their favorite song, they understand real fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back