What's your favorite popcorn?
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
We have microwave popcorn, on the shelf popcorn (store bought, like Wise) and all the various brands and flavors within (thanks to the internet). Name your favorite brand, if its in a bag/tin/microwaved and what flavors you prefer. Me?

1. Wise White Cheddar Cheese in a bag (yum!)

2. Orville Redenbacher's:

Light butter
No butter (Natural)
Tender White

I've tried other microwave brands and found them often tasting like rubber (JollyTime, Act II).

Recently me and my girlfriend have been travelling to a theater in da Bronx (http://cinematreasures.org/theater/700/) and the popcorn in this place is slammin', freshly popped on the premises (as far as I can tell) due to the excellent texture. It's a little on the salty side, but it's very flavorful, probably some of the best popcorn I've had in ages since theaters like to use pre-popped popcorn which is typically terrible.

Let's discuss.
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 15
Around Christmas/Thanksgiving, I enjoy the holiday tins with 3 assortments (caramel, butter, white) etc.

However, Movie Theater popcorn is the best, hands down. I will brook no descent on this one
icon10.gif
! However, the downside is that you can get dinner for the cost of a refillable bag most places.

-SOLUTION-

Hint: Break down and buy one of your favorite theater's refillable bags. When the film is over covertly empty the contents of your bag (preferably in the garbage can, lol) and roll up the bag and put it in your pocket. This way you can reuse the bag and stick it to man!

Note: The longest I've gone on one bag is 8-10 movies.

Now...if there was only a way I could recycle tickets...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Pah. The only real way is to buy bulk popcorn and do it properly, in oil. My personal favorite is to throw a couple dried Jalapenos in the oil. Great stuff.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 15
The Popcorn Factory (or whatever it's called) has awesome popcorn. It's even better when you get it as a gift during the holidays.
There's also some Lance popcorn from the vending machine that's pretty ok.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 15
The only pop corn we get is from the cinema.

I've seen some packaged pop corns (imp frm USA) but no locals buys them according to someone who works in the supermarket.

Its a choice between salted, normal and caramel and I like the last one best but in small amounts. Eat too much and I get a sore throat
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 15
Sweet and salty please...Kettle Corn! yum yum

In SF there's a great street vendor in the farmer's market near city hall. They make it on the spot in a giant pot and stir it up with what looks like a boat paddle.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 15
I used to love popcorn. Then, I got a job at a movie theater (which has very good popcorn, I should add) that gives its employees all-you-can-eat popcorn.

Needless to say, I despise popcorn.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 15
Good kernels, popped in olive oil, with lots of salt.

or

Movie theater popcorn, popped in coconut oil, with lots of salt.

The home version has an advantage because the beverage can be made from malt and hops and yeast

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 15
I also love popcorn, for me it's a must have item when I go to the movies. If it's the microwaveable type, my preference would be Orville Redenbacher's. Some of my favorite popcorn variations:

Lightly buttered w/ a little salt

Kettle corn

Lightly buttered or plain popcorn sprinkled and mixed with a little bit of Furikake (Japanese rice seasoning).

Lightly buttered or plain popcorn mixed in with a bit of Furikake, and Sour Cream & Chive popcorn seasoning. This variation of popcorn originated in Hawaii is known as Typhoon Popcorn.

Lightly buttered or plain popcorn mixed in with a bag of Arare (pronounced a·ra·re) (aka kakemochi, mochi crunch, or Japanese rice crackers) and a little bit of Furikake. This variation of popcorn also originated in Hawaii is known as Huricane Popcorn.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 15
For anyone with a stove who likes popcorn, you owe it to yourself to get a decent big pot to cook popcorn in. Microwave popcorn is nasty, and isn't any faster than popping it stovetop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back