Whats your best purchase this year 2022
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

OCC7N

Headphoneus Supremus
If I did not buy the Susvara I would have never discovered Audio-gd(because I prejudissed all chi-fi). I only had 2000 dollars left and found HE9 LE as the best for the money and specs. So here is my top 3. Susvara being 1.

2. Audio-gd - HE9 LE:
For the functionality, because it can become a "HUB" for 5 devices/dacs(5 inputs total) and active speaker
Amazing sound signature. Its not only good for the money its better than the competition imo. iCAN or OOR.

3. Matrix X-Spdif2: Because it can use all outputs to three dacs, and it actually sounds pretty clean on my JCAT card. Cheap compared to the price/performance. I like this one with my Super Nova 7 cable connected to my TT2. It will later also have RME ADi-2 and a Audio-gd R2R dac connected.

What did you all buy this year, and what made you happy about the purchase?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 45
The standout was a Febsmart 2 port USB pci card for $14 which I located away from all the noise on the computer and the noise floor reduction was dramatic.
Also replaced some fans with the 1850rpm Nydec gentle typhoon fans which are acoustically tuned and make so much less noise than other models for the CFM they move. Gaming with open back headphones isn't distracting now and temps a little lower.
Sometimes the simple purchases like lowering the noise floor are the best.

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 45
So far the Schiit Folkvangr. It’s an amazing amp. It has all the sonic charms of an OTL amp, yet largely avoids the downsides. Outstanding imaging, midrange, and treble. Excellent bass and dynamics too. It can be a little picky with some headphones- it seems to prefer fast cans and can be a bit too much with very dynamic headphones, but other than that the sound is outstanding!

As a bonus, it helps keep my corner of the living room warm.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 45
The standout was a Febsmart 2 port USB pci card for $14 which I located away from all the noise on the computer and the noise floor reduction was dramatic.
Also replaced some fans with the 1850rpm Nydec gentle typhoon fans which are acoustically tuned and make so much less noise than other models for the CFM they move. Gaming with open back headphones isn't distracting now and temps a little lower.
Sometimes the simple purchases like lowering the noise floor are the best.
Thats very good improvement to isolate the noise on USB. I have not thought of that for my gamer pc yet. I also game with open back(Arya) but sometime the sound can go into the mic(fram Arya) its a nice headphone for gaming.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 45
Well, I must say that my Grado GS3000x is by far my favorite purchase in 2022. Fabulous for ME (YMMV). If you love the Grado house sound, this is the ultimate. Better timbre than the RS1e or RS1x. Better sound stage, bass extension, instrument separation, and those wonderful mids. I can't say enough about these, especially when listening via a high quality OTL amp....

Leo

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 45
This has been a budget year for me. I added some tubes and an adapter for my Schiit Vali 2 amp. Pictured below is a pristine NOS Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 "Bad Boy."

Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 %22Bad Boy%22 -02.jpeg

Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 %22Bad Boy%22 -01.jpeg

Nov 11, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 45
The caldera.

Nov 11, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 45
Finally pulled the trigger on the Audio-gd DI-20HE.

No regrets with it. If I had to a build a new audio system from scratch, it would be the first thing I purchase before anything else.

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 45
Thats very good improvement to isolate the noise on USB. I have not thought of that for my gamer pc yet. I also game with open back(Arya) but sometime the sound can go into the mic(fram Arya) its a nice headphone for gaming.
It's even better if you're computer case has vents on the bottom. I flipped the power supply over and got 4 rubber doorstops as feet using Loctite Gel. It raises it up and since we have carpet I got a finished shelf at Home Depot. Then put the case up on it for airflow from below with the raised doorstops/feet to elevate it. The USB card is right up against the heavy shielded side of the power supply now, and it's a completely silent noise floor on any DAC I plug into it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 45
Oriolus Szalayi: this iem, besides being beautifully sparkly blue, makes most music sound live, with powerful bass, incredible planar mids and airy highs.
and responds very well to amping and great days with Totl clarity and PRAT….worth every penny,…...
Still burning in but super impressed with Bravery SE, hrs tone and cohesiveness and super bass for 4 BA set!! Beautifully mad with great cable and hardware!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 45
I'll say 2nd place goes to the Yanyin Moonlight. Not a lot of squawk on the street about these, and for sub $500 I was really surprised by how good they were. I don't miss my Monarch mk2 anymore.

Nov 24, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 45
First place: Audeze LCD-XC. TOTL technicals for mid-range money and with a little EQ, superb sound.
Second place: RPi 4 + Volumio streamer. Finally I can untether my listening from the computer / phone.
Third place: Lehmann Audio Black Cube. For the money I paid, a massive upgrade over the headphone amp in my Naim DAC-V1.

Nov 24, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 45
Hiby RS2, just love the R2R signature. Wonderful footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back