What's with the sudden M50 craze?
Apr 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's another flavor of the month. Just like the RP21's, Q40's, RX700's before them
tongue.gif
. Doesn't mean that they're bad.

I haven't heard the RP21 or Q40, but the RX700 sounded like garbage to my ears. Maybe good for the money, but the ksc75 was clearly superior, while being cheaper, smaller, lighter, less goofy looking

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 64
I always highly recommend M50 for any newbie (relative newbier than me) for few reasons:

- Newbies need bass and portable (isolation) and easy to drive
biggrin.gif
They normally don't care/know about soundstage and stuff. If they don't need bassy, isolating headphone, there is AD700 to consider I think.

- It shares bass' characteristics with Denon.

- It blows my other same price range cans out of the water.

- It's getting cheaper. It's in the same class w/ SRH840 MSRP wise but you normally can buy it $30 cheaper at least.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 64
In the past two weeks, there have been at least half a dozen threads asking about headphones to use in an office environment to keep out noise.

That's specifically what I bought my M50s for, so in those threads, I give the M50s a good word.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 64
No one has mentioned their looks, so I will. I've seen a few people wearing these out in Toronto and I must say these things look pretty bad ass, much better than the Dr. Dre Beats and imo a little more stylish than some of the funkier Skullcandies. If I didn't have a good pair of iems (UM3X) I'd definitely consider these as a portable (contingent on sound).

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A virulent strain of the flavour-of-the-month-itis.

It's not really FOTM. It's always been popular. Honestly, its a great pair of headphones for the price. There really aren't that many full-size, closed, isolating headphones in that price range anyway.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys!

I wasn't around for a moment and suddenly every thread here has a M50 recommendation in it.

Would anyone bother to fill me in? Just for fun.

M50 is a good phone anyways.

M50 for $90 was on slickdeals.net. So I guess bunch of people got it.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 64
Audio-Technica for life!!1!

I also demand more impressions comparing it to the ES7. I could buy one too but I'm lazy.
tongue.gif

I'll bet the M50 has been selling like hotcakes ever since Sam Tellig @ Stereophile gave them a rave review in his column earlier this year. Say what you will about Tellig and Stereophile but their recommendations & raves always seem to sell stuff.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 64
The only reason I bought it is because it's much cheaper than MSRP. I did not read reviews on it.

But hell, that's a great headphone.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 64
They are both great. The XB700s has more in your face bass, and are easier to drive, but the M50s have more potential. I honestly wouldn't choose one over the other sound quality wise. For the bass lover, get the XB700s. Still, the M50s won't let you down if ypou at least boost the bass.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 64
Well don't like my M50's too much
Not loud enough for me and I'm putting them on 80%
gets my ears sweaty after awhile
Everyone at my school wants to jack them

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 64
Well this is just my personal experience. About 40hrs of burn in in them. Havent eq'd them yet due to lack of knowledge and laziness.
If you plan to put them in the pouch and then in your backpack, make sure you're very careful. They're good plugged into an ipod but to me a hassle to bring to school

Users who are viewing this thread

Back