What's up with the FS/T Forum??
Jul 17, 2001 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gorgon_123

Proud to be a member
I'm posting this in the general forum even though it's a questions about the FS/T forum... I figure I'm not selling or trading anything so this makes it a "general" post.

There seem to be MANY great deals going on in the For Sale/Trade ... and I'm wondering two things 1. Have the items actually been sold but the sellers never bothered to mention it? or 2. Why the hell isn't this stuff selling???? I'm starting my new job today (dishwashing, woohoo!!! ack.. the life of a student), and I just spent a whack of cash on groceries so my coffers are running a little low right now. Is this the case with most people or is there simply no market for these items? Or maybe head-fi.org isn't popular enough yet for these things to move?

Gimme your thoughts!! (I collect them)

-gorgorama

Jul 17, 2001 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 15
I think everything I've put up for sale has sold in a day.
  1. Creek OBH-11
  2. Clou Red Jaspis headphone cable
  3. Sennheiser HD-600 headphones
  4. Audioquest Coral interconnects
Could be the selection of items up for sale, maybe. All of the above are generally high-demand items, and pretty affordable.

Jul 17, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 15
It might have something to do with the fact we're in mid summer now. Sales for the whole A/V industry generally fall off dramatically during the summer as people are spending their time and money on outdoor activities (me excluded), vacations, etc.

The fall/pre-Christmas period is historically the busiest.

At least that's the way it is in cold climate areas.

Jul 17, 2001 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 15
I sort of have an informal icon convention I'm using in the FS/FT forum. I use the document-looking icon for things that've sold, and also change the title to reflect a known sale (please mark your items as sold if they're sold, friends). And for ones that are more like notifications of auctions elsewhere, or just for informational purposes -- that is, when there is no actual direct sale in the post -- I'm using the lightbulb icon.

Jul 19, 2001 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 15
I placed two items FS/FT in the forum, but no one has expressed any interest yet.
I think, that may partly be due to the fact that I live in Europe. For some reason, it seems that the guys in the USA and Canada (the majority of us) are reluctant to deal with europeans, perhaps due to longer delivery times or I don't know. I hope you guys don't think we are gonna rip you off, cheat, steal or something.
When it comes to electronics, there is a problem with the voltage ofcourse, but for phones I really don't see problems. We in Europe buy Senns, AKGs and Beyers generally cheaper and can therefore sell them cheaper secondhand, same with you and Grados. Shipment indeed will take longer, perghaps a week to 10 days, but I don't see this as a big problem. Payments may be a bigger problem, I frankly don't know how does a bank transffer between Europe and the USA works, that's why I'm always ready to trade-pack the item send it and wait to receive yours- simple.

Jul 19, 2001 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I hope you guys don't think we are gonna rip you off, cheat, steal or something.

blr, speaking for myself, that is definitely not the case.

Quote:

Shipment indeed will take longer, perghaps a week to 10 days, but I don't see this as a big problem.

That could possibly be a factor, what if the plane drops the package into the Atlantic?
wink.gif

Quote:

Payments may be a bigger problem, I frankly don't know how does a bank transffer between Europe and the USA works,

That is probably a major factor. You also have to consider exchange rates changing and converting foreign currency to US dollars or US dollars to foreign currency.

Jul 19, 2001 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
I placed two items FS/FT in the forum, but no one has expressed any interest yet.
I think, that may partly be due to the fact that I live in Europe. For some reason, it seems that the guys in the USA and Canada (the majority of us) are reluctant to deal with europeans, perhaps due to longer delivery times or I don't know. I hope you guys don't think we are gonna rip you off, cheat, steal or something.
When it comes to electronics, there is a problem with the voltage ofcourse, but for phones I really don't see problems. We in Europe buy Senns, AKGs and Beyers generally cheaper and can therefore sell them cheaper secondhand, same with you and Grados. Shipment indeed will take longer, perghaps a week to 10 days, but I don't see this as a big problem. Payments may be a bigger problem, I frankly don't know how does a bank transffer between Europe and the USA works, that's why I'm always ready to trade-pack the item send it and wait to receive yours- simple.

blr... I've just completed a trade with H_man, my CD1700s for some Grado SR-125s... Agreed, the delivery was a little longer than expected... but, we sorted the initial deal out within about an hour of me amending my thread... Maybe its because i've got my moderator badge on, I'm not too sure, but... the FS forum has definetly worked for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2001 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 15
JMT.
If the plane drops the package into the Atlantic I'll swim there and recover them.
wink.gif

Before I place an item for sale I look into the paper to check the exchange rate and always quote the price in USD (I assume this is the official curency on headfi). Right now the USD is pretty strong which is good for you-makes the items cheaper.

As you say, money transffer can be a bit tricky. In the worst case I can accept cash in a registered letter at y own risk. I've done it before, it works.

Long delivery times are a bit annoying I agree, but if it is agood deal it is worth. I waited for 5 weeks for my HD600 to be delivered (through a swedish website believe it or not) but I payed less than180 USD for them. I could have walked to the closest HiFi store, about 5 min from home and get them for 300 USD.
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2001 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 15
blr~

why dont you sign up an account at www.paypal.com ?

this wy you can accept funds from anyone, any country ! THe money will be deposited straight to your checking or saving account as u wish. Or have them send out an actual check in your name and you can deposit it .

The account is free ( under 500 dollars transactions )

I recommend it. I use Paypal all the time for online transaction for foreign purchases.

Tides

Jul 20, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 15
The problem is that paypal in Sweden does not allow you to transffer money from the Paypal account to your bank account. It's OK if I plan to use the money straight from there but if I want them for something that is not possible to pay by paypal... you know what I mean.

Jul 21, 2001 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 15
blr~

Paypal does not send check out to Sweden ? even if the bank direct deposit does not work, you can wait for the actual check.
To pay using paypal works with the credit, so you do need the bank as well. There are other online payment services like paypal, maybe you can look into them ( popular on ebay, go there to get the other service urls)

Worse case, you can just use Ebay. there is also an independent UK.ebay.com you can look into
smily_headphones1.gif

good luck~!

Tides

Jul 21, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 15
If I remember well, paypal allows you to cash in your account only if you're in US. Otherwise, as blr says, you can receive money but you can only use it for other paypal payments, you can't cash it. That makes it basically useless except in special cases. You can send money from anywhere however.

Jul 21, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 15
Basically, us Brits get a pretty bum deal...

No Paypal, no cheap Grados, no cheap Petrol (Gasoline
wink.gif
)...and the list could go on for all 200,000 characters of text in this box... (i think you catch my drift)

There is one thing that I like about HeadFi (I daresay its the same on HeadWize, but have never traded there)... is the element of trust... I was basically just another person who posted on the boards when I set up my trade... Yeah, i'd been knocking about on HW since February... but, that doesn't really mean anything... afterall, some of you know each other face to face, from what I understand, having organised meets and suchlike.

The trade itself went with relatively no hitches (apart from customs holding my new 'phones for 2 days
frown.gif
) and, everyone was happy... just because I am (We are) European, and on the wrong side of the pond, DOESN'T take away our buying / trading power... these forums DO work... you just need to trust us Europeans... we're not REALLY that bad
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back