What's up with 'ConUS only' in the FS forums??
Apr 6, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #46 of 115
Ive never had a problem with stuff being shipped to me, excluding the hold up of one CD order because there were two Commonwealth Games events being held here and I got the package the day after the games finished
rolleyes.gif

Package from the US to me = 6-8 Business days without fail as long as it isnt by Sea Mail
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #47 of 115
When shipping internationally there's also some legally ambiguous, at best, issues. Sometimes the buyer wants you to mark the item as a "gift" to avoid duties. I've even seen things I've ordered from overseas from big companies marked this way. It seems a little suspect. I can see the wisdom in avoiding this situation.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #48 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Doesn't matter, since I have to take the bus and transfer twice to get to the post office (4 hour round trip) vs. walking across the street to send stuff UPS. I value my time too much, unless it's a really expensive item (in which case UPS might be justifiable anyway, since shipping is a minor percentage of the price).

Guess I'm just trying to say that at least some of us have reasons for doing things the way we do it. I did start shipping to Canada after finding that UPS is not that much more expensive (from the sender's end, anyway).

Why not ship stuff without even leaving the house?
biggrin.gif

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...category=11820

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #49 of 115
When I sell, I usually mark my ad as "in US only," which of course includes Hawaii and Alaska. I do not ship internationally unless the buyer is an established member with good feedback.

Right after Christmas I sold a small portable amp (PA2V2) to someone in Canada. The amp was held up in Customs (probably due to a holiday backlog) and, after three weeks, the buyer began complaining. We both thought it was lost in Customs and I decided to refund his money with the agreement that he would return the amp once and if it were received. He received his refund and eventually the amp. To date, I have not received the amp, and I'm out the shipping and cost of the amp and the refund.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #50 of 115
I'm usually willing to ship international as long as the buyer is willing to pay the extra $20-$30 above my selling price it costs me to do so...and is ready to bear customs fees on his end, because I'm not comfortable with breaking the law.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #51 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
When shipping internationally there's also some legally ambiguous, at best, issues. Sometimes the buyer wants you to mark the item as a "gift" to avoid duties. I've even seen things I've ordered from overseas from big companies marked this way. It seems a little suspect. I can see the wisdom in avoiding this situation.

Ambiguous? Not realy. From individual to individual the «gift thing» is, I'll be conservative here, 99.99% sure....
biggrin.gif

From a company to an individual the numbers are exactly the opposite....
biggrin.gif

But the stunning part from all of this is that it works usually in both scenarios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I've even seen things I've ordered from overseas from big companies marked this way.

I'll bet you have contacted your customs authorities to make things right...
tongue.gif

Amicalement

EDIT: Just to keep in touch with the original topic. We all know that this restriction is often a breach of selling «étiquette» but the little market has to play along and keep smilling.....

EDIT 2: I must add that often once PMed the seller is able to realize that shipping outside the US is an operation less involving than a mars expedition....And with a little convincing they are able to see the light...

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #53 of 115
Quite simply it does annoy me.

I see something I'm interested in (and allowing for extra shipping & possible customs duty) and the price is right I scroll down and see the dreaded CONUS only.

From the opposite point of view I sometimes have posted UK buyer preferred as we have different voltages and the US retail prices can be cheaper than the UK prices so the item is not as attractively priced to non UK members.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #54 of 115
Most people request USPS when I ship out of the US. Below are a few reasons why I dislike shipping international.

1) It takes me 30 minutes of brisk/fast walking or an 1 1/2 hour ($4.00 for a roundtrip fare) for public transportation and the closest USPS post office is always packed with a 30-50 minute wait on the line (no exaggeration).

2) The customs form area is jam packed. The correct paperwork is frequently out of stock which means I have to wait on line to ask for them (30-50 minutes). Fill them out and wait on the line again (another 30-50 minutes).

3) No tracking or insurance unless they want to pay $$$ for global/ems type shipment. Mentioning this to potential buyers in other counties pretty much always lead to a no thanks or no further reply. Almost makes me want to not bother at all.

4) International buyers very frequently request that I mark the package as gift with a value under $25.00 (umm no thanks
rolleyes.gif
)

However, Fedex and UPS are both close to me as well as multiple 3rd party shipping outlets for them. In addition, I find their efficiency and service at the check window to be quick and painless. Lines and waiting period is almost non-existant. I do understand that the customs fees for international buyers receiving packages from them are very pricey compared to USPS.

edit: after all that said. I dont really have a problem with sending international via USPS *if* a car ride is available when I'm free to go and ship since I can go to the next closest post office which has almost no people early in the week.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #55 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Did you report that bast.....gentleman?

Amicalement

No, I didn't. I just chalked it up to a sale gone bad. I sold the amp for $45 plus $5 shipping. At the time, he was a new member with only three posts and no feedback. Although I warned him that Customs might delay the delivery, he really wanted the amp and I gave in and sold it to him. Not surprisingly he has not logged in nor posted any further following this incident.

I blame myself really for offering the refund and blindly trusting someone. It was just a disappointing experience and the only time here that I was burned. Perhaps if more money was involved, I would have taken some action.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #56 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
No, I didn't. I just chalked it up to a sale gone bad. I sold the amp for $45 plus $5 shipping. At the time, he was a new member with only three posts and no feedback. Although I warned him that Customs might delay the delivery, he really wanted the amp and I gave in and sold it to him. Not surprisingly he has not logged in nor posted any further following this incident.

I blame myself really for offering the refund and blindly trusting someone. It was just a disappointing experience and the only time here that I was burned. Perhaps if more money was involved, I would have taken some action.

I cant see why someone can blame himself for trusting others. It's more a quality than a flaw...

If I may just add on this. This should be put in formal bad feedback since he could be tempted to repeat what he now sees has a free meal.

Amicalement

PS

Damn I hate those situations. We should be all under a specific obligation to make a «safety deposit» to protect others from stealing like this.
I know who will manage the funds? The interests? The interests could be donated to Head-Fi day to day operations. Weird idea? Probably...

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #57 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Mostly it's because Hawaiians have such good weather I do it out of spite.

Didn't they say on the news recently that there was a record set in Hawaii for 48 days of non-stop rain (not sure if this was a seasonal record)? Either way, I cannot describe any place that sometimes has non-stop rain for over a month, having "good weather".
When will this friggen rain stop anyway, IT IS SPRING! ENOUGH ALREADY!

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #58 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Didn't they say on the news recently that there was a record set in Hawaii for 48 days of non-stop rain (not sure if this was a seasonal record)? Either way, I cannot describe any place that sometimes has non-stop rain for over a month, having "good weather".

Yeah the weather in Hawaii sucks right now. I hear reports of it from family back home.

On the topic... I gladly ship to Hawaii. I also gladly ship to Alaska as well. International is also okay, provided that the buyer stays in constant contact and is willing to foot the bill for shipping. Besides that I don't mind the hassle of filling out customs forms and the like.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #59 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain

We here in Hawaii just had 41 days of torrential rain. It didn't rain continuously, but it rained everyday of that 41 days. The records set and broken isn't the amount of days that it rained in Hawaii but the amount of rain we had. On most of those 41 days rain was pouring at a rate of more than 3 inches an hour. At one point some parts of Oahu were receiving rain at a rate of 7 inches an hour. Flashflood warnings were in effect nearly everyday for those 41 days and flooding was happening every week. Thunderstorms were almost common occurance every week. Oahu and Kauai got the worst of the storm system for most of the 41 days. Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and the Big Island also received a fair amount of rain but nothing like what we had on Oahu and Kauai. This is the first week so far since Monday we've had dry and sunny weather in nearly a month and a half.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #60 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by dokebi
4) International buyers very frequently request that I mark the package as gift with a value under $25.00 (umm no thanks
rolleyes.gif
)

This is what I request of most sellers as well. I don't see the problem. The seller gets their money and I take responsibility for any problems resulting from this(which have never come up yet for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back