Whats the Ugliest Headphone EVER
Jul 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #32 of 49
all grado models

Oh yeah?

What about this one?

This one

or this one?

Although I think their PS- and GS-1000 can look doofus, and that their "i" headphones are not as good looking as they were before, I think the "Grado look" is still one the most original around, and that their pure, economical and unobtrusive design is really hard to beat in those three categories I named, once you get used to seeing it.

People might find them ugly at first because they don't look shiny or contain as much plastic as the popular headphones they are used to...

I think if Grado ever excelled somewhere, it was in the design of their first headphone:

On to a more strikingly ugly entry:

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:
i think both these are very ugly 

How could you dislike a PortaPro? 
frown.gif

Uhh can the Denon D400 count as my vote?

I'm starting to warm up to the D600 and D7100, but the protruding tumor on the D400 is still gross to me.

The SRXXi Grados look a lot less cool than the older flat Grados, but they're still better-looking than most other "fashionable" headphones.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:
Oh wow. My first time seeing the D400.

That gets it.

Initially, the headband throughout the new Denon line bugged me, but I got used to it. It's at least functional and seemingly durable. Heck, I'd even call it "cool" now. But everything about the D400 screams "ugly" to me. I mean:

The cup-things look like a splat egg.  And they're shiny. And glow. Like seriously. I understand that these are called "Urban Raver" for a reason, but $400 is not the correct price for them. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Initially, the headband throughout the new Denon line bugged me, but I got used to it. It's at least functional and seemingly durable. Heck, I'd even call it "cool" now. But everything about the D400 screams "ugly" to me. I mean:

The cup-things look like a splat egg.  And they're shiny. And glow. Like seriously. I understand that these are called "Urban Raver" for a reason, but $400 is not the correct price for them. 

id color the headphone white if i get one for free

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #40 of 49
But the thing is that they have LED's. I wouldn't mind a matte white version of those, maybe, if the pods that stick out from the sides didn't exist or were less huge, but flashing blue and white don't work well at all. It's gaudiness upon gaudiness. They make Beats look mundane.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #41 of 49
they have LEDs?! omg these are like comparable to those steelseries diablo 3 headsets xD

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Are you serious?

Can't wait until the Edition 8: Las Vegas then!

The protrusions have a blue ring that lights up. You can kind of see it in the pictures.

Now that I've seen a video and see that they're knobs, it's a little more okay because they're functional, but still...barf.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:
The protrusions have a blue ring that lights up. You can kind of see it in the pictures.

Now that I've seen a video and see that they're knobs, it's a little more okay because they're functional, but still...barf.

Haha, not bad! But don't a headphone needs USB power to enlighten its LEDs? I don't think USB headphones (like gaming headsets) have their place on this forum, lol... we buy standalone microphones ourselves for that.

Get these instead, it's like a Tumorless, black and white accents-less, LED gaudiness-less version
 but still with a volume knob?
AH-NCW500 SR... talk about a model name

Or the black version

They both fold up nicely, and pads are swappable from supra-aural to semi-circum-aural
 from Jude's album http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/652824/id/614458/sort/display_order

Orthodynamic(?) IEMs

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #45 of 49
There's a built-in amp in the D400, so I'd assume there's some circuitry inside to power the LEDs. 

I don't know why people were complaining about silver and brown on the other thread. It looks pretty classy in a vintage-y way.

The C300 has two dynamic drivers, I think. "Denon's Urban Raver AH-C300 In-Ear Headphones provide unprecedented Bass from small form factor, thanks to Denon's patent-pending Double Air Compression Driver technology. Each earpiece features two 11mm Drivers mounted in parallel to give a bone-jarring bass experience."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back