Whats the secret behind the LCD 2's popularity here?
Sep 27, 2011 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 193

leng jai

1000+ Head-Fier
So since I bought the T1 I've been reading a lot of threads on high end gear and it seems to me that the LCD2s are by far the most popular high end headphone. You only have to look at the 17000 post thread here to see what I'm talking about. In contrast, the T1 thread hasn't reached 2000 posts and some of the other high end cans don't even have one.

I've never heard the LCD2s so I can't comment on how they sound, but they don't look like a headphone that would be really popular. They're unconventional and don't look at all comfortable to wear - IMO they definitely have the image of a niche product. The aesthetic certainly played a big part in my decision to choose the T1s. 80% of posts here seem to say they are amazing cans and the best they've ever heard. I definitely would like to audition a pair one day just to see what the fuss is about.

Please enlighten me with your thoughts on this people.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 193
I think it's a lot of hype. Then again, everything's subjective. What could be "the best" for someone might not be "the best" for someone else.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 193

Quote:
I think it's a lot of hype. Then again, everything's subjective. What could be "the best" for someone might not be "the best" for someone else.

This could be it...

In all honesty, the LCD-2 are great headphones. In the end you really just have to listen to all the high end headphones yourself to really judge them adequately. Sometimes it's just a matter of one owner being more vocal than another. Sometimes it's FOTM. Sometimes it's due to marketing. At the end of the day the best headphone is the one that satisfies YOU. It could be an LCD-2, it could be an HE-500 or it could be BEATS by Dre.

This is a fantastic article that compares some the current "high end" headphones.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 193
It sucks. It doesn't sound $994.75 better than iBuds. You need 3 grown men to help position it on your head and a titanium neck brace to support the heaviest materials known to man. Rumour has it the cable constricts its prey and devours unsuspecting pets and small children like a prehistoric serpentine monstrosity. The clamp is so bad, your head will implode just looking at it.

I only own it to boost my Head-Fi cred.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 193

Quote:
It sucks. It doesn't sound $994.75 better than iBuds. You need 3 grown men to help position it on your head and a titanium neck brace to support the heaviest materials known to man. Rumour has it the cable constricts its prey and devours unsuspecting pets and small children like a prehistoric serpentine monstrosity. The clamp is so bad, your head will implode just looking at it.

I only own it to boost my Head-Fi cred.

eek.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 193
Hamsters.

Nah, it might be because most headphones are a bit on the bright side, and the only real high end choice in the past for a non treble happy headphone was the Stax Omega 2. Compared to the O2's, the LCD-2's are cheap less expensive, and don't require a different amp to be able to try them out.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 193
Hey leng jai,

You're in Melbourne - pop into Addicted to Audio in Kew - George, Cornelius and Rendra have them
for audition anytime.

Make up your own mind and hear it for yourself on a variety of amps.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 193
Sep 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 193

Quote:
... most headphones are a bit on the bright side, and the only real high end choice in the past for a non treble happy headphone was the Stax Omega 2. Compared to the O2's, the LCD-2's are cheap less expensive, and don't require a different amp to be able to try them out.

^Exactly this.  The relief from brightness can't be underestimated, but led people to gloss over significant physical and sonic flaws.  The revised version is better sonically, but the same physically.

I find a better approach to be - use a high-end source, a high-end amp, and a so-called mid-market "basshead" phone.  Same dark balance, better comfort, better soundstaging, and - given excellent equipment "pushing" the phone - equal detail and musicality.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 193

Quote:
Nah, it might be because most headphones are a bit on the bright side, and the only real high end choice in the past for a non treble happy headphone was the Stax Omega 2. Compared to the O2's, the LCD-2's are cheap less expensive, and don't require a different amp to be able to try them out.

Couldn't agree with this more. 100% spot on.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 193
Gonna hit this up as well. There's a lot of bass heads around here that want to get into the high end and the LCD 2 is their only option. Well, it's not...but it's the only one they feel safe with. 

Most of the high end is 'light at the end of the tunnel' if you will...and the LCD 2 is a little bit of darkness in that light.

Quote:
Couldn't agree with this more. 100% spot on.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #14 of 193
It's usually what I look for...but I liked the 598 more than the 600 and 650.

EDIT: 3200

Quote:
If it's any surprise, the HD 650 (a similarly voiced can) is also the most popular sub $500 headphone here. I think it's just a lot of people loving the dark-ish mid centric sound sig.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 193

Quote:
So since I bought the T1 I've been reading a lot of threads on high end gear and it seems to me that the LCD2s are by far the most popular high end headphone. You only have to look at the 17000 post thread here to see what I'm talking about. In contrast, the T1 thread hasn't reached 2000 posts and some of the other high end cans don't even have one.

I've never heard the LCD2s so I can't comment on how they sound, but they don't look like a headphone that would be really popular. They're unconventional and don't look at all comfortable to wear - IMO they definitely have the image of a niche product. The aesthetic certainly played a big part in my decision to choose the T1s. 80% of posts here seem to say they are amazing cans and the best they've ever heard. I definitely would like to audition a pair one day just to see what the fuss is about.

Please enlighten me with your thoughts on this people.

There you have it.  Blame Head-Fier Andy.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back