what's the most versatile suit for someone young
Apr 25, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 64
Black. High cut. Three buttons. The end.

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 64
I think a black suit might look out of place at certain functions. Maybe dark blue would be more versatile.

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 64
My opinion would be a black suit, and you can buy several different shirt and tie combinations to make the suit very versitile. If you show up to the same place twice with a blue suit, different tie or not, they know its the same blue suit pretty much. It just seems like a nice black suit with a good assortment of shirts and ties can go a long way.

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 64
While I agree wholeheartedly with waltermeyer's opinion, a black suit is too formal for business functions or interviewing. I would say a dark navy suit.

Fit is the critical factor though, more than design/designer/materials/price. I also agree with the 3 button suggestion.

Still, I wouldn't spend less than $300 (or more than $600) for a good first suit.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 64
Navy blue, single breasted, three buttons (If you're tall and slim, avoid one that's too high cut though). Make sure it fits properly and that the quality is good. It's actually a very versatile garment, because you can use the pants on their own or the jacket in combination with a pair of jeans or khakis if you're "dressing down"
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 64
Depends on its use and your particular style. I mention this because what you intend to use it for (interviewing, up-scale social, day-to-day business etc.) along with the crowd it will be seen in (conservative business, politicos, venture business, brandy tasting with buffy and kip etc.) really determine what works best.

For me, dark blue or black (depending on the quality of material, black looks bad when it is cheap IMHO), high cut, three button. Goes with just about anything and flexible enough that I can modify the look for whatever group I need to mingle in. Perhaps a bit too serious for certain functions, but I usually don't mind looking a little harsher, more down to business than everyone else. About the only flaw is that you can't really dress down with it (though I prefer just to ditch the jacket on those days).

Then again, my old boss always described my business clothing style as "noir hitman" which works for me... but probably isn't for everyone.

Overall, though, don't sweat it too much. Get what you can afford and what you're comfortable in. In the long run I doubt it will make THAT much difference in your life.

Apr 25, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 64
Dark blue suit with a two or three button jacket. It's black enough for very formal occasions and light enough for job interviews. Go for a thread count of 80 or 100. Anything less than 80 looks cheap and anything over 100 will wear out fast.

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 64
Black will make you like like either a hitman or a mortician in many circumstances. The best bet is a dark grey or navy suit, solid color, english style cut, single-breasted, two or three buttons.

If you go with navy blue, get black and brown shoes/belt.

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 64
Grey Suit. No more than 3 buttons. A mid-weight cloth so you can wear it in all seasons (wearing a wool suit in the summer looks dumb and vice-versa). I wouldn't get any fancy patterns or exotic cuts either, think simple British elegance. Of course a subtle pinstripe is always welcome.

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #13 of 64
Personally, I'm going to agree with waltermeyer. I'd say black, three button, and single breasted. I'm in college and to this day that's the only suit I've ever needed and I've worn it plenty of times; from dinners to playing in jazz combo's to funeral's. Just get a good collection of shirts and ties. You can tone down the black suit with the right shirt, no worries
icon10.gif

Just my opinion,
Andrew

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 64
Again, black is not good for business. If you're young you're most likely going to be doing some job hunting and navy blue is a much better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back