What's the HYPE with the AKG 701?
Dec 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus

I thought it is a good idea to revive a closed thread to offer another view on and my own experience with the K 701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777
What's the HYPE with the AKG 701?[/b]

I have a pair and have done some extensive A/B tests between the SENN HD 600 and SENN HD650 and find the AKGs to be...

1. The brightest of the bunch (those who think that the 701 and HD600 are close they arent!).

I own all three, and that's certainly true.

Quote:

2. Must turn volume WAY up to get to the same sound levels as the SENNS (I used a SPL from radio shack).

The two Senns have the higher efficiency, but the AKG's much lower impedance (62 ohms, compared to ~350 ohms) makes up for that, so it should offer about the same or slightly higher sensitivity on an amp with 0-ohm output. The volume-level behavior described by vai-777 is a clear indication for high amplifier output impedance. Which is a bad precondition for most headphones and a particularly severe handicap for low-impedance cans (such as the K 701).

Quote:

3. They don't have the detail that the SENNs do, not even in the higher frequencies.

That's possibly a consequence of the inappropriate amplification. In my setup (and to my ears) the K 701 has the highest detail and resolution of the trio.

Quote:

4. The soundstage is close but not quite there.

To my ears the K 701 is a soundstage master. It's still close to the HD 650, though, but in favor of the AKG.

Quote:

5. MIDRANGE DOES NOT EXIST (put on a copy of HYSTERIA and see (hear) what I'm talking about).

I can't reproduce this in my setup. After all the K 701 has the least pronounced midrange of the three cans, and maybe I'd agree that there's a slight midrange deficit -- although nothing that synergetic components couldn't passably compensate for.

Quote:

6. They are FASTER than the SENNS.

Hard to judge. The attribute «fast» is often used in a misleading way. In most cases the brighter, treble-friendlier headphone is rated faster (e.g. a typical Grado), not the one with the greater high-frequency extension (which I would absolutely rate as a virtue, despite the CD's 21-kHz limitation) enabling faster transient response. In the case at hand, all three headphones have very similar HF extension. However, also to my ears the K 701 seems to follow the signal a little faster than the Senns. This may nevertheless primarily be a matter of sonic balance and (thus) to some degree system dependent.

Quote:

8. UNINVOLVING.

I do understand this qualification. The K 701 seems to need rather warm and full sounding equipment to not sound too lean and bass-shy (up to sterile). And above all it needs at least 300 hours of break-in as well as a wearing-in of its earpads -- to allow the drivers to be placed closer to the ears, which leads to a somewhat fuller sound.

Quote:

So I have heard about the burn stuff 300 hours or so they say. And all the talk about them needing a proper amp (HEED). However I don't understand why I can plug in my SENNS (300 ohm) into the HEADPHONE jack of my MARANTZ 5001CDP (no I don't have an amp yet) and they sound great, but the AKG 701s sound awful?

This phenomenon is explained above. The different impedance makes the difference: a high-impedance headphone is less susceptible to high output (= serial) impedances than a low-impedance headphone.

Quote:

Also do the AKG 701s even have BASS or is the set I have defective? I thought the SENN 600s were a little light/neutral on BASS, but the AKG bass seems to be non existant (this coming from someone who doesn't like too much BASS to begin with).

You don't seem to have appropriate equipment to get a fair image of these three headphones and their capabilities. But even under more ideal conditions there's some likelihood that you'd find the K 701 bass-light, at least in comparison to the Senns. Different people need different headphone characteristics for musical enjoyment and/or the impression of a fairly realistic reproduction. Some need more bass, some need more mids, some need more treble than others. There's no sense in trying to disqualify a specific properly designed headphone after a first personal disappointment, the less so if it has a strong following in a specialized forum with many experienced people. BTW, the K 701 is far from being overhyped these days, so nobody is to blame for false expectations.

Everybody's ears and tastes are different.

Although the K 701 is my currently preferred headphone, I can detect a certain sensitivity to component characteristics and even recordings. So I have to take special care to interconnect synergy. And of course it isn't perfect by no means. It's just a relatively neutral and accurate headphone with little tendency to euphony (less than most other headphones I know), which may be a let-down to many headphone fans, but an advantage to others -- provided that they have matching ears and equipment.

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 59
Very interesting. The more I hear the more I believe that i will be returning these, I mean if Im happy with the SENNs why spend $400 plus to get the AKG 701 to sound like the 650s.

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. The more I hear the more I believe that i will be returning these, I mean if Im happy with the SENNs why spend $400 plus to get the AKG 701 to sound like the 650s.

You can get the 701's for $244.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 59
I recently heard it at the Toronto meet and found it out of Jan Meier's MK II or Pre to be very good and even bassy. It was not as centred on the bass as the HD600 I had for comparison that day, but very good indeed and about the soundstage, at least to the HD600 it was wide like the Zangstze while the HD600 sounded good it was more like normal river.

Both were great, but I did not expect the surprising sound of the K701 which was to my ears and that day, better than I have been lead to believe after spending too many sunny days reading this forum!

By the way, are the 650 up for sale ever? Cheers

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 59
The Heed is not the only amp that can be used with these headphones... you do know that right?

Dec 16, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two Senns have the higher efficiency, but the AKG's much lower impedance (62 ohms, compared to ~350 ohms) makes up for that, so it should offer about the same or slightly higher sensitivity on an amp with 0-ohm output. The volume-level behavior described by vai-777 is a clear indication for high amplifier output impedance. Which is a bad precondition for most headphones and a particularly severe handicap for low-impedance cans (such as the K 701).

Thought I would step in to get one factoid straight: 650=300 ohm, not 350 ohm. I think everyone agrees that the k701 is 62ohm

Sennheisers have 101 db/mw sensitivity (at least my owners manual says that....other sites claim 103). AKG 701, I have no idea, since AKG seems to like to print theirs as being 106db/mV But that should equate to roughtly less then the HD650 for sensitivity. That means the amp needs more gain with the k701. Which we can argue you need a good hp amp for.

Quote:

That's possibly a consequence of the inappropriate amplification. In my setup (and to my ears) the K 701 has the highest detail and resolution of the trio.

And this is why I think it's pointless to be having a HD650 vs k701 debate. On everyone's setup, it's going to be different!!! On my Single Power amp, I'm noticing that certain tubes and certain gains will give more detail to the HD650, and certain others will flatten it. Those same tubes will yeild completely opposite results on other headphones: whether it's the differences in impedance/sensitivity vs enclosure design. People are always quick to fault the headphone and not think of ways to improve the headphone that you have.

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why would you want the 701's to sound like the 650's? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having two different cans?

I have yet to take delivery of my K 701's, but from the reviews I have read on Head-Fi, and the amp recommendations I've read about, I am pretty sure I'm going to either buy the Little Dot II++ or DarkVoice 336.

Apparently, the 701's like decent, strong tube power and I am prepared to have to spend another $150-$250 to get the 701's sounding the way they should.

Yes, I have a Little Dot Micro+ already, but I don't expect the 701's to sound overly spectacular with it. I'm sure imaging and soundstaging will sound great, as well as transients and detail, but I also know that bass and lower midrange will probably suffer a little.

It's all a matter of peicing together the right equipment to suit your taste.

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I would step in to get one factoid straight: 650=300 ohm, not 350 ohm. I think everyone agrees that the k701 is 62ohm.

That's the nominal impedance related to 1 kHz. The average effective impedance is somewhere around 350 ohm:

graphCompare.php

Quote:

Sennheisers have 101 db/mw sensitivity (at least my owners manual says that....other sites claim 103). AKG 701, I have no idea, since AKG seems to like to print theirs as being 106db/mV But that should equate to roughtly less then the HD650 for sensitivity. That means the amp needs more gain with the k701. Which we can argue you need a good hp amp for.

You can't rely on these values -- they aren't directly comparable. And even if they were: what counts is to drive the two headphones with a 0-ohm headphone amp and compare the results. That's what I've done and everybody can do. I guess you haven't had this opportunity.

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

You can't rely on these values -- they aren't directly comparable. And even if they were: what counts is to drive the two headphones with a 0-ohm headphone amp and compare the results. That's what I've done and everybody can do. I guess you haven't had this opportunity.

Not with the k701, no: didn't know if AKG has been scaling their sensitivities the way Sennheiser has. I do notice that the k501 does have an appreciable lower sensitivity then the HD580 or HD650. The HD650 has a higher sensitivity then the HD580 on my system (just as specs say), so it does seem like these quoted values on this site are pretty consistant.

http://www.rane.com/note100.html

unfortunately they don't have the latest headphones out there to compare to these older ones. Would be interesting to see how much sensitivity is being raised by the manufacturer.

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 has a higher sensitivity than the HD580 on my system (just as specs say)...

Which specs? Sennheiser uses different measuring methods for HD 650 [103 dB (1 Vrms)] and HD 600 [97 dB (SPL)] which make the former look much more sensitive from the mere number, but in fact both have about the same sensitivity -- in my system. However, the clamping force makes quite some difference, so your (newer?) HD 650 may benefit from drivers positioned closer to your ears.

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Which specs? Sennheiser uses different measuring methods for HD 650 [103 dB (1 Vrms)] and HD 600 [97 dB (SPL)] which make the former look much more sensitive from the mere number, but in fact both have about the same sensitivity -- in my system. However, the clamping force makes quite some difference, so your (newer?) HD 650 may benefit from drivers positioned closer to your ears.

I could have sworn that my manual said 101 db (SPL). So I just double checked, and you're right, they do say 103 dB (1Vrms)! Well that would explain why the 650's sensitivity is more like the HD580. I find I do have to raise the volume a bit on the 580, but not nearly as much as the k501. I had assumed Sennhieser was doing to the 650 as what they had with the 595: making their cans more sensitive because of portable headphone outputs.

I still think there might be a slight difference in sensitivity with my HD580 and HD650: not sure if the difference in sound would account for me wanting the HD580 louder. I would think not, because the HD580 has more emphasis in the upper mids. Though I notice the HD650 has more treble extension. And I don't think it is a difference in driver location. While my HD650 is new and snug, my HD580 is 8 years old and the cushions are so super soft spongy that they have no form!

But I can follow you now: printed specs are always misleading
eggosmile.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Yes the clamping force would have some effect on the sound. I do notice one thing however.

If I pick up the AKG s and listen for say an hour straight, then pick up the SENNS they seem to be unbearably DARK. On the other hand if I pick up the SENNS first, listen for an hour then swith to the AKG they are super bright.

there are few tracks that when listening on the AKGs first sound better on the senns right away ie. Joe Jacksons. Steppin Out, the HYSTERIA album but most sound overly dark, almost compressed. One the other hand if I listen to the SENNS first nothing sounds good on the AKGS right away.

What I am trying to say is that to get a real prospective on these phones may be impossible because A/Bing one after the other in rapid sucession masks thier true identity because the super brght akgs make the senns "darker" and the dark senns make the akgs "brighter" .

Also please note that I am listening at much lower volumes (60 db c weighted fast) than most of society and that may very well enhance the differences between the 2 cans.Though I find myself reaching for the volume knob when i have the akgs on not becauseI am enjoying the sound but rather because I feel something is missing, I never do that with the SENNS my 600s or 650s.

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

That's the nominal impedance related to 1 kHz. The average effective impedance is somewhere around 350 ohm:

graphCompare.php

Perhaps the 300 ohm is reasonable because the frequency is in logarithmic scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back