Whats the difference between the Audio-gd C-2 and the C-2 SA?
Nov 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jTizMLG

100+ Head-Fier
The DAC i am going to be using is the Audio-gd NFB-3. My headphones are the Grado RS2i and the Sennhieser HD650. All i know is that the C-2 SA only has RCA inputs which im not exactly in love with and the C-2 has ACSS.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 15
I have been going through this same thought process and will also be going through the NFB-3.  I believe the C2 SA is a great choice if you are looking to save money ($50 cheaper, no ACSS cables required & no need to get EARTH/MOON opamp for RCA connections).  

The ACSS connection and ability to swap out op-amps for RCA input really had me wanting...but slim.a's post comparing the C-2 SA and C-2 changed my mind:
"The C2 SA is also slightly warmer (yet livelier) sounding, with a slight prettification of tone and a slight reinforcement in the mid bass. I suspect that most people will prefer the presentation of the C2 SA over the regular C2 when paired with the ALO Beyer T1s.
The C2 has an airier soundstage (due probably to its lighter representation) while the C2 SA has a denser, more impactful representation."

After pondering what I really "wanted to hear", it left me realizing that I'd be happier with "a more impactful representation", the simplicity of an all RCA setup and $90 in my pocket to boot!

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 15
I must retract my previous statement somewhat...

At zero hour, right before I was going to order Paypal didn't work so I was left to re-evaluate the situation.  The C-2 SA would be pointless for myself as it would only be driving 32ohm headphones.  Couple that with the NFB-3's design being heavily reliant on the use of ACSS circuitry and not pairing the NFB-3 with a ACSS HP amp basically makes no sense.

P.S.   With the NFB-3 and C-2 combo you can easily switch between RCA and ACSS connections so it is essentially like having two complete setups in one.

P.P.S.  After very carefully comparing the circuitry, component by component, in the NFB-12 to the NFB-3 and C-2 combo, you really get an appreciation of just how good of a value the NFB-12 is at only $200, especially for 32ohm headphones! 
gs1000.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Well my C-2 SA shipped today from Hong Kong, and I expect to get it next Tues/Weds. I will be using it in conjunction with my k702s and soon to be AD2000s. My source is the Reference 9. I'll leave some somparisons in the next couple of weeks in regards to the m-stage, asgard, concerto, maverick D1, uDac, and Fiio E-9 if anyone's interested. I think it will be an excellent pairing with the current-starving AKG's, and the amps warm signature should complement the 702s rather well I think. As for the AD2000s, I've never heard them and am going out on a limb to try them to complement my Akg's, which aren't that great for rock/electronica, although they aren't 'bad' by any means as some here would have you believe. My .02

-Daniel

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 15
I have HD580 precision, 300Ohm. Should I get the C-2 SA cause it is specified that it can drive 300Ohm headphones?

C-2 only states 62 and 100Ohm.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Well the C-2 SA is cheaper, a discrete design, and will drive pretty much any headphone on the planet-I think it's a no-brainer. The only reason I think someone would get the C-2 over it, is for the ACSS possibilities, or if they want to opamp roll...

-Daniel

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 15
I pre ordered a C2-SA for the office and a NFB 12 for headphone listening with the home theater.  My stuff wont ship until after mid February so I look forward to some reviews on the C2 SA.  I do have a C2 and DAC 19 DSP1 so I may be able to do comparisons/review some day.  Which amp has higher current ouput-I guess I can go to the website and look.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 15
C-2 with ACSS bypasses the opamps.  C-2 used with ACSS would be a better choice over the C-2 SA unless you require higher wattage output.  Also, with the C-2 over RCA you can stick a moon, earth or sun discrete opamp or switch to ACSS for a different sound signature anytime you wish.

Quote:
Well the C-2 SA is cheaper, a discrete design, and will drive pretty much any headphone on the planet-I think it's a no-brainer. The only reason I think someone would get the C-2 over it, is for the ACSS possibilities, or if they want to opamp roll...

-Daniel

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
C-2 with ACSS bypasses the opamps.  C-2 used with ACSS would be a better choice over the C-2 SA unless you require higher wattage output.  Also, with the C-2 over RCA you can stick a moon, earth or sun discrete opamp or switch to ACSS for a different sound signature anytime you wish.

Quote:

-Daniel

Yeah...I just said all that...ALL that.
blink.gif

-Daniel

redface.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 15
I pre ordered a C2-SA for the office and a NFB 12 for headphone listening with the home theater.  My stuff wont ship until after mid February so I look forward to some reviews on the C2 SA.  I do have a C2 and DAC 19 DSP1 so I may be able to do comparisons/review some day.  Which amp has higher current ouput-I guess I can go to the website and look.

I'm looking forward to that review. C2 vs C2 SA.:)

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 15

I am curious and not sure If I understand ACSS or CAST. The C2-SA has up to 6 watts where as the C2 is about a watt. The C2 has CAST. Does the current increase or watts out with increasing volume on the C2 therefore would it drive a demanding head Phone such as a ortho?

In other words is a CAST or ACSS system something that can be compared to non CAST in terms of measuring output. Perhaps the C2 is 1 watt using the op amps option or no CAST.

I am trying to figure out if I can drive my LCD-2 on pre order with a DAC 19 to C2 using CAST and get the same power performance as with a higher wattage rated non CAST set up.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 15
I's probably just ask Kingwa if I were you. You'll get a solid answer and he's quick on the email.
Try king-wa@hotmail.com

Jeez, 6watts? Surely that's enough to melt a pair of 600ohm Beyers.
Why don't we forget this whole thing, go buy FiiO E3s and toss this beast back into the fiery depths from whence it came?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back