What's the difference between Data and Audio CD-Rs?
Jun 25, 2002 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Khazim

100+ Head-Fier
I read some other thread with someone that asked it but I didn't really see a straight answer. I ask this because I have an iRiver ChromeX and will be burning my mp3s to CD soon. I saw in the Circuit City flyer (for June 23rd-29th) that I can get a 50-pack of TDK CD-Rs for $5. I read on that other thread that TDK is pretty good, but it says DATA on it. Would this be okay for the mp3s (--alt preset standard -Y LAME encoded)?

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 3
Yes, that will be just fine.

CD-Rs labeled audio are labeled such for one of two reasons, A: They are for the 'standalone' CD-recorders that only take a special type of CDR. They are usually rather expensive. B: A marketing scam intended to make you think that digital audio is somehow different from other types of digital data.

Audio is data. In the digital world, they are one and the same. Big packs of CD-Rs that say "Audio" on them usually cost more because of a kickback to RIAA, and a marketing gimmick to try to convince you they are better. Often to get someone thinking a product is better than another product is to price it higher. You don't have to do any justifying at all, just add a higher price tag, and people will gravitate towards it.

Some people have brands they like, and others that they dislike, though honestly, most big name CDR brands like memorex, tdk, etc, all buy from other factories, and just take bids on who will supply their next batch. So you could get a few good batches, then a bad one, all from the same brand. But CD technology is getting better, both in the drives, and in the discs, and so if you have a reasonably modern burner, most discs should burn just fine in it. Just make sure they are rated to the speed of your burner. Most CDs are rated to 16X or 24X or higher but you occasionally see 12X rated ones around. It was hard at first to find 24X discs for my plextor 24/10/40, but now they seem to be everywhere.

So anyway, DATA cds are perfect, and just make sure they are rated for at least the speed of your burner.

Enjoy your ChromeX!

peace,
phidauex

Jun 25, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks alot.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll get those TDK CD-Rs then
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back