What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
May 24, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #436 of 1,335
You guys have some excellent imaginations.

Yes, that is probably the case! Oh well, the mind will believe what it wants to believe. As long as it brings some enjoyment out of the hobby, I figure it is worth that crazy cash we spend.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #437 of 1,335
s-l1600.jpg

another very nice, not so expensive silver USB cable. Made in France by Atelier Acousitk
I compared it to the Aucharm an prefer this one.

c*

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #438 of 1,335
I need a Usb-C to Usb-B connection. Which would provide better sound quality?

1) Audioquest Carbon Usb-C to Usb-B cable
or
2) A better Usb-A to Usb-C Cable connected to the Apple Usb-C to USB-A adapter

I ask because it looks like most the best Usb cables are Usb-A to Usb-B.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #439 of 1,335
I need a Usb-C to Usb-B connection. Which would provide better sound quality?

1) Audioquest Carbon Usb-C to Usb-B cable
or
2) A better Usb-A to Usb-C Cable connected to the Apple Usb-C to USB-A adapter

I ask because it looks like most the best Usb cables are Usb-A to Usb-B.

May I suggest a custom cable from Pete at Triode Wire Labs. Email him and see what he can do for you. Great guy and awesome products. I have his Discrete USB and have no complaints. He has built custom stuff for me before and the build quality is impeccable.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #440 of 1,335
May I suggest a custom cable from Pete at Triode Wire Labs. Email him and see what he can do for you. Great guy and awesome products. I have his Discrete USB and have no complaints. He has built custom stuff for me before and the build quality is impeccable.
Thank you for your suggestion. I do not want to go the custom cable route however.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #441 of 1,335
Thank you for your suggestion. I do not want to go the custom cable route however.

I have had a bunch of USB Cables and I really like the carbon. If you want to go a cheaper route for a nice sounding cable check out the Pangea SE. Audio Advisor is one of the dealers.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #442 of 1,335
I have had a bunch of USB Cables and I really like the carbon. If you want to go a cheaper route for a nice sounding cable check out the Pangea SE. Audio Advisor is one of the dealers.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not looking for a cable suggestion though.

I'm trying to find out if buying a very good USB cable (standard USB-A to USB-B), then adding a USB-A to USC-C adapter cable, degrades the sound much (compared to just buying a lesser USB-C to USB-B cable.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #443 of 1,335
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not looking for a cable suggestion though.

I'm trying to find out if buying a very good USB cable (standard USB-A to USB-B), then adding a USB-A to USC-C adapter cable, degrades the sound much (compared to just buying a lesser USB-C to USB-B cable.
There is no rule, but length is big part of USB cable quality, the longer it is the more id lean towards the adapter route.
If length doesnt matter, I would look for some of those super short USB C cables, and buy a few different ones and see which sounds best, I would bet that would be better than the adapter.

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #444 of 1,335
I just received a Final Touch Audio Callisto usb cable. For those who feel they've almost "completed" their system and looking to add that one last percent.. This cable may well be that finishing touch (as the company name implies... lol).

I have the phasure lush2 and mad scientist black magic, triode wire labs discrete usb, (and previously curious evolved), and the fta callisto bests all of them.

Out of the box, the callisto takes away all upper registry edginess and glare; I had this with the lush2 but I mistook it for detail and clarity; only now is it apparent that I was poorly mistaken. Pinpoint imaging for vocals, better instrument placement, which makes for a more believable and dimensional soundstage.

In all fairness, the other cables I have are already very good but the callisto just takes it up another notch. If I could put a ruler and measure it, the actual differences in sound are probably really small, but the thing is they're noticeable.

At the asking price, it is definitely in the diminishing returns category. But like I said... Finishing touches.

I have just ordered another one.

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #445 of 1,335
No one here use Vetere ? I have a DiFi USB to my Chord TT2 and it is awesome ... beats the Audioquest Carbon for clarity and generally being cleaner. I have both but the Vetere is the cleaner cable. A lot dearer I grant you ... but there 'technically' shouldn't be a difference.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #446 of 1,335
No replies ... oh well ... I went with a Chord Signature Super Aray ... not sure it is for me though at this stage - so exact the higher range feels a bit sharp. I am waiting for my Vetere to be returned after repair.

I tried an AQ Diamond. Nice cable and USB B to C too .. not having to use an adapter for my Mac ... just not sure it beats the Chord and can't see it beating the Vetere at this stage ...

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #448 of 1,335
I just received a Final Touch Audio Callisto usb cable. For those who feel they've almost "completed" their system and looking to add that one last percent.. This cable may well be that finishing touch (as the company name implies... lol).

I have the phasure lush2 and mad scientist black magic, triode wire labs discrete usb, (and previously curious evolved), and the fta callisto bests all of them.

Out of the box, the callisto takes away all upper registry edginess and glare; I had this with the lush2 but I mistook it for detail and clarity; only now is it apparent that I was poorly mistaken. Pinpoint imaging for vocals, better instrument placement, which makes for a more believable and dimensional soundstage.

In all fairness, the other cables I have are already very good but the callisto just takes it up another notch. If I could put a ruler and measure it, the actual differences in sound are probably really small, but the thing is they're noticeable.

At the asking price, it is definitely in the diminishing returns category. But like I said... Finishing touches.

I have just ordered another one.
Untreated copper... I bet it just rolls of highs and everyone think that it solved usb problems... No usb cable will solve usb problems, only very good reclocker or high end sound card like the one from jcat with best possible power supply will cure usb.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #449 of 1,335
For me the single biggest different I've gotten from a cable is the Sablon 2020 Panatela Reserve USB Cable. If you follow the thread on it on What's Best Forum as well other reviews, you'll read nothing but raves and even though it costs $750 for the powered version required for my Chord Hugo TT2, it has absolute brought clarity, speed, tonality, and authority that I didn't even know I was missing from my system.

What's very noticeable is the texture in the music and instruments. I thought I was already having that in instruments like bass guitar or drums but they are now so much more clearer and well-defined. Notes are no longer mere notes, you can hear so much of the instrumentation behind them. Drums and percussion are so well-defined that no matter how busy layered everything else are in the track, you don't lose sense of them. Things just don't get muddled.

I think when you get to the point where you have a high-end system, a cable like this is like night and day. The power and data are on separate cable runs, as you can see below. And if you're in Los Angeles and want to have a listen, as well as test out your headphones (the higher end the better of course), feel free to DM me:

Sablon Audio

IMG_20200930_112547.jpg
IMG_20200930_112603.jpg
20200615_145513_HDR.jpg

Custom PC --> Sablon 2020 Panatela Reserva Elite powered USB Cable --> Chord HUGO TT2 --> Sommer Epilogue XLR Cable --> Cayin HA-300 DHT 300b Tube Amp (Psvane ACME 300b + NOS Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base tubes) --> Mavismodz custom 4-core OCC copper balanced cable with Furutech miniXLR & 4-pin XLR terminations --> Audeze LCD-3 Fazor headphone/ BJC Ten White Speaker Cable --> Tekton Lore Reference Speakers

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #450 of 1,335
Go look at Audio Science Review. Recently they tested a similar Audioquest powered offering and found out that it was actually worse than a very inexpensive run of the mill USB cable. They tested it for several parameters that influence the sound quality audibly and it just didn't make a difference beyond actually having more distortion due to the addition of a powered component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back